Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report Writer / Custom Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

celeron895

Programmer
Jan 29, 2002
US
We have created a custom table to store additional information. We need information from this table to appear on a Purchase Order. Report writer does not allow you to use data from external tables...

Are there any tips or tricks to get around this? I assume other people have come across the same problem.

We could use Crystal to re-create the purchase order - but would like to avoid that if possible.

You can use VBA with RetrieveGlobals.dll to create an ADO connection to SQL to get your data.

Let me know if you need more info. Note that the customer must have VBA or the Customisation Site License to use VBA.

David Musgrave
Senior Development Consultant
MBS Services - Asia Pacific

Microsoft Business Solutions

Any views contained within are my personal views and
not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions policy.

My only concern with RetrieveGlobals.dll is security. I know that in no longer brings out the sa in plain text... but it is my understanding that users passwords can be brought back in plain text. Our company policy (as most companies are) is not to allow anyone to know someone elses password. Further, a simple scipt could be placed on a pc that emails out the passwords as someone logs on. This could be a nightmare if a malicous employeed setup such a script.

RetrieveGlobals.dll does not return the plain text password. By default all passwords other than 'sa' are encrypted and so the password returned are still encrypted. And as mentioned 'sa' password is not returned at all. This does mean that the VBA will fail for 'sa', but is safer.

You can lock VBA projects to prevent anyone adding VBA scripts without authorisation.

I believe all of your security concerns can be addressed.

David Musgrave
Senior Development Consultant
MBS Services - Asia Pacific

Microsoft Business Solutions

Any views contained within are my personal views and
not necessarily Microsoft Business Solutions policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back