Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report Writer... Barcode and adding * to front and end of Field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

smcpartlin

IS-IT--Management
Apr 8, 2010
US
So I've been trying to figure out how to print barcodes on reports (report writer reports) in our GP 8.0 system.

We need to add Alpha Numeric barcodes to some reports to speed up data entry in places.

Starting from Word and testing barcodes in general:
For a long barcode the best font was IDAutomationHC39S at Font size of 8. With a score of A. (use a Bar Code Verifier on print out) anything bigger was not getting as good a score.

Going to Report Writer and copying a field and then changeing a font to the new installed font isn't enough to pass go... see you need to have a "*" or "!" at the start and end of every barcode. So the question is how do I add a char to a field in the start and the end?

Looked into formatting and thought maybe I could create a new format but I don't know the programming of Report writer so I don't know what string I would insert to essentally put the * at the front and end *. SO ORD000001 would become *ORD000001*

Any Ideas?

Ceate a calculated field (choose calcualted fields in the toolbox dropdown and click new).
calculated fields have an expression box where you build the formula (only accepts picking not typing in the box).

CAT is one of the operators. You would use the constants tav to enter the string "#" and the 'CAT' operator followed by the string field you want. All done by clicks (except for entering the # in the constant field onthe constat tab).

However, a much better solution would be to buy the module from Rocton that allows you to substitute crystal for GP reports.

I have used VBA with a report and a barcode font to implement barcode printing.

Eventually I will finish the blog article I have planned.

David

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Escalation Engineer - Microsoft Dynamics GP
Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific

Microsoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions)

mailto:David dot Musgrave at microsoft dot com

Any views contained within are my personal views and not necessarily Microsoft policy.
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

The reason we don't want to use the rockton app is we left Crystal Reports for SRS when B.O. switched to a named user licence. B.o. Can go to H&ll as far as we care.

Thanks for the tips... Have a Partner Consultant comming over in the morning.. but I like to know more about processes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back