Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report Viewer - Exporting To PDF.. Barcdes don't scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANDREWeire

Programmer
Feb 17, 2005
GB
Hello...

I am using Crystal 8.5 and have quite a number of reports with barcodes. These reports are used by various people in the company who are able to scan in part details.

When I print the report directly from the viewer I am able to scan the barcodes with no difficulty. But if I "export to PDF" and print the exported report the barcodes appear on the page but are distorted. More importantly they do not scan.

Is this a known issue. I read somewhere that Adobe distorts barcode fonts... Is this the case?

I am using Code3of9 and have created the reports in every possible different way I can imagine. When printed from the viewer (or scanner on the screen) the barcodes are OK. The export to PDF seems to kill them.

Any help would be appreciated

Andrew

Hello there...
You need to download the PDF417 fonts...these are bar code fonts designed to work with pdf docs...
Here is one site that you can purchase those from...
Or you can do a search on google...
Hope this helps!
B~

Boni J. Rychener
Hammerman Associates, Inc.
Crystal Training and Crystal Material
On-site and public classes
Low-cost telephone/email support
FREE independent Crystal newsletter
800-783-2269

Thanks for the reply...

Does this mean that other barcode standards will not work with Adobe Acrobat? We are limited to Code 3of9 for the minute since that is the way the system has been set-up.

Hello again!
After some careful research I have come up with a fix...This issue can be remedied by adding a key to the registry...here is the technical documetation on how to do this...
Here are the steps:
1. Click on the "Start" button and select "Run".
2. Type "Regedit" and click on "Ok"
3. Browse to the following key-
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Crystal Decisions\<version>\Crystal Reports\Export
4. Right click on the Export key and go to "New" and the "Key".
5. Name this key "PDF".
6. Right click on "PDF" and select "New" and then "DWORD Value" and name this "ForceLargerFonts".
7. Change the value of this new field to "1".
(this can cause "font clipping" so be sure to check your reports for accuracy while using this key.)
Hope this helps!
B~

Boni J. Rychener
800-783-2269

Thanks for taking the time to help.

I have gone through the steps shown and done a few more tests. I am still coming up with the same results. The strange thing is that when we export to XLS, DOC, or other formats it works fine.

I am looking for a way around this but will keep trying to sort this one out as well. If I find any solution I will post.

Thanks

I will do the same...
Sorry my suggestions did not help...
B~

Boni J. Rychener
800-783-2269

Status