Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report Truncates Words

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkmindx

Technical User
Mar 25, 2005
US
Hi,

I have a report which is linked to a table to where the user can add any items they want. I have 4 fields in the report:

Case Text (Can Grow/Shrink = Yes)
Graphic (Can Grow/Shrink = Yes)
Item Question (Can Grow/Shrink = Yes)
Item Answers (Can Grow/Shrink = Yes)

The length of the fields is about 7 inches. I am having problems with the Item Question field. On some items, the last one or couple words are truncated, they just don't appear.

What might the problem be?

Thanks

If the textbox is bound to a Memo field it should be able to display any amount of text (up to 1.2 GB). Text fields can only hold 255 characters.

How many characters are being displayed?

VBSlammer
redinvader3walking.gif

"You just have to know which screws to turn." - Professor Bob

The items show up in full when I view the table which the report uses. They are only cut off in the report. In the table, the fields are Memo fields.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Is the source for the report the table itself or a query?

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

It's a query. What changes when a report uses a table or when a report uses a query?

Thanks

See thread703-861555 - might be of some help.

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

Thanks.

I tried separating my query into Memo/text query and numerical query and then joined the two queries into another query. However, the finally query just had one item repeating over and over again. I don't know what happened there.

I also tried to re-create my reports, to no avail. It still truncated the words of some items.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

In your query, are the memo fields truncated?
If so, you at least know that you're on the right track. If, on the other hand, the query is right, but the report is wrong, that would suggest something else.

Greg

How about replying with the SQL view of your report's record source?

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

traingamer,

The memo fields in the query are not truncated. They are only truncated in the report.

dhookom,

Here is the SQL statement:

(Here's the SQL that is the report's record source)
Code:
SELECT Test.*, TempTest.TestID
FROM TempTest INNER JOIN Test ON TempTest.TempID=Test.[Item ID]
WITH OWNERACCESS OPTION;

NOTE: Test is another query and TempTest is a table where the items that the user chooses to appear on the report go to.

(Here's the SQL for the Test query that the above query refers to)
Code:
SELECT ItemsTable.[Item ID], ItemsTable.[Item Question], ItemsTable.[Item Answers], CaseTable.[Case Text], GraphicsTable.Graphic, ItemsTable.[Unique Item Identifier], ItemsTable.[Item Key], GeneralInfoTable.[Item Author], GeneralInfoTable.Reference, ItemsTable.ICL1, ItemsTable.ICL2, GeneralInfoTable.[Item Keyword]
FROM ((ItemsTable INNER JOIN GeneralInfoTable ON ItemsTable.[Item ID] = GeneralInfoTable.[Item ID]) INNER JOIN CaseTable ON ItemsTable.[Item ID] = CaseTable.[Item ID]) INNER JOIN GraphicsTable ON ItemsTable.[Item ID] = GraphicsTable.[Item ID];

Thanks for the help!

Are you sorting the report by the Item Question field?
Have you applied any formatting to the text box bound to the Item Question field?

What happens if you take the above query and create a new report with just the Item Question field? Can you get it to shrink and grow?

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]

Are you sorting the report by the Item Question field?

No, I'm not.

Have you applied any formatting to the text box bound to the Item Question field?

No, I have not.

What happens if you take the above query and create a new report with just the Item Question field? Can you get it to shrink and grow?

When I create a report with just the Item Question field, the words do not appear to be truncated. It grows/shrinks fine. Why is this happening?

Thanks

What's different between the report that works and the one that doesn't?

Is there any consistency to the number of characters displayed? Is it about 255?

Duane MS Access MVP

There is no difference in the two reports except that one contains number textbox (used to number the items using "Running Sum = Over All" option) case text, graphic, item question, and item answer fields, while the other one contains only the item question field. There are no other differences than the ones mentioned above.

Is there any consistency to the number of characters displayed? Is it about 255?

If you can't find anything, then just add controls to your second report (one that works) until it is complete.

Duane MS Access MVP

There is no consistency to the number of characters displayed. Words are being truncated on some items that have less than 255. However, they are not being truncated on some items that are over 255.

I'll try adding controls to the report that works and report back.

Thanks

Everything works great in the report. Nothing is truncated. However, when I export the report to an .rtf file, words get truncated on some items.

What might the problem be?

Thanks

You might want to search google groups as I have seen this question come up before but don't recall the resolution since I never export to Word.

Duane MS Access MVP

Are the words truncated when you view the report on screen, when the report is printed on paper, or both?

Bob Stubbs

The words are only being truncated when the report is exported to word.

They are not truncated when I view the report on screen from Access and they are not truncated when I print the report directly from Access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back