Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report triggering automation 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rock786143

Programmer
Aug 12, 2009
IN
Hi all,

I would like to write an application using SDK that checks for the database for data and if it's available it triggers the reports to be sent via an email. If db data not available it should wait for data or schedule after some time.

Does it would be efficient if i use Java SDK application programming. Please suggest. I'm new to BOE Java SDK.

Thank you.

Yes, you can use the Java SDK to do this. You can find sample code here: Click on BusinessObjects Enterprise SDK, then on Java Developer Guide, and finally on Tutorials to get to the tutorial programs. You want the Client Desktop Tutorial which has sections about how to schedule reports to various formats using the SDK.

I program in C#.NET so, unfortunately, I'm unable to direct you to anything more specific than that.

Good luck!

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Thanks.

But these are client side desktop application programming api. But i want to run a program(using cron) in BOE server side which runs periodically and checks whether data available then schedule reports automatically with out any user inputs.

Would this be possible? Please suggest.

Hi,
Look at the abilities of the Schedule 'On Event' function in BOE's CMC.

You could have a DB trigger create an external file that, when it appears in a specific folder location, will trigger the scheduled report to run.

This is dependant on the database engine you are using, but most major ones ( like Oracle) have a file creation ability.

You would need to figure a way to delete that file after the report has run.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Thank you. I have tested file based events in BOE XI. But i have some 20 - 30 repors. I want reports to be run if the file occurs and should wait for scheduled time as well. But it's not the case.
Reports are run immediately after events occur without waiting for the report scheduled time.

Suppose report is scheduled to run at 6AM and the event file occurs at 5AM the report is run immediately.It's not waiting for 6AM.

Is this the desired behaviour or am i doing anything wrong?

The api used to scheduled reports in the client side programming can also be used in a non-client application to schedule reports - the sample code just shows you how it to program with it. So, you could write a java program that would check to see if the data exists and then schedule the reports if it does. The program does not have to have any user interface! Then you set up a cron job to run the program whenever you need to. Or, you could set it up in such a way that it runs all the time in the background and periodically it will check to see if there data.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Hi,
You can either schedule to a specific time or to an event ( like file creation) but not a combination of those methods, as far as I know.

hilfy's idea is probably the most flexible.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back