Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report to a PDF file 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajc0101

Programmer
Apr 20, 2006
US
I am trying to output a report build from the Report Writer in visual foxpro 6.0 into a file that is PDF readable ? Can this be done or do I need to purchase Adobe reader and import from a text file.

I want to sent this file through the internet that can be read on another computer without having to purchase additional software.

ajc0101,

Yes, PDF is the right way to go, but you don't purchase the Adobe reader. The reader is a free program (most people already have it), but it only reads the PDF.

What you need is a PDF writer. You can obtain a low-cost printer driver that converts any printable document (including VFP reports) to PDF. But I'd recommend a product called XFRX ( that is specially good at exporting VFP reports to PDF and other formats.

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

Use Adobe Postscript Driver to create a postscript file of the report and than use Ghostscript to turn the postscript to pdf.

Hi!

I recently ran into a open source project called PDFCREATOR. It installs itself as a "dummy" printer and converts print output to PDF format. It can also convert print output to other formats like bmp, jpg, ... Just type PDFCREATOR into Googlew search, download it (it is free) and try.

Hi AJC0101

I have used XFRX for a number of years. It is an excellent product. They update regularly. Most of my work with it has been done in VFP 6.0

Kevin

You bet it's usefull!

I am trying out XFRX and love it. Within 10 minutes of downloading the demo I was sending my reports to PDF's. Very easy to use and not too damaging to the budget!

Thanks,

Ed

I am anxious to try the latest version improves the Word output. Earlier version output to text boxes which was not very easy for end-users to update. They did it this way to get a more accurate registration.

Kevin

All mentioned PDF printer drivers will create no editable PDF files. FRX2Any creates PDF file that you can edit later on.

2 MikeLewis
>Looks like the original questioner has gone away -- or >not bothered to acknowledge the answers.

I guess he is the person who gave 2 stars to robsuttonjr , showing that he get the answer on his question

Gentlemen,
I appricate your answer to my question concerning the PDF reports. I am now expirementing with several of your suggested alternative. This is the first opportunity I have had to THANK ALL OF YOU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back