Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report Sum Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

mns117

Programmer
Apr 8, 2002
US
I have a report that is grouped on a couple different levels.

Header 1 - Category
Header 2 - Group
Detail GL SL
Footer 1 - Group Subtotal sum(GL) sum(SL)
Footer 2 - Category Subtotal sum(GL) sum(SL)
Report Footer - Totals sum(GL) sum(SL)

So if the detail GL = 1 and SL = 1
I want the Group Subtotal to be 1, the Category subtotal to be 1 and the Report footer should be 1.

For some reason it is adding the totals...

any suggestions?

Do you have the Running Sum set to Over Group or Over All? Shouldn't be either.

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

I wish that was the issue, but I have running sum set to No.

If you have more than one record in your report then you will get the sum of all GL and SL values. If the value is 1 for each record, then your sums will actuall show a count of the records in each group and the report.

That's how Sum() works.

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]

Shouldn't a footer sum just be a total of the records in the detail?

The Sum() is a Sum() is a Sum(). Can you provide some sample records, what you are seeing in your report, and what you would expect to see in your report?

Duane MS Access MVP

Well, after spending half a day trying to figure out why my sums weren't right, it turns out the source that we were checking them against was wrong. Hooray! Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back