Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report Studio Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcfMike

IS-IT--Management
Mar 29, 2007
US
In Impromptu its fairly easy to have fields as part of a query, but not have them show in the query. In Report Studio the only way I've found to do this is to set the box type to none. Any problem with this method?

Mike,

What version of Report Studio are you using, ReportNet 1.1 or C8? Not that it makes much difference, but the interfaces are different enough.

In 1.1 for every report you have queries, obviously, and each query can have a tabular model. In the query or the tablular model you can create new query items. If you create them directly in either of these places and do not add them manually to the report output they will not display in the report.

A lot of times I will actually start the report build by creating the query first and then adding the fields I want into the report from the query rather than the package/model.

Does this make sense?

Hi,

The easiest method in ReportNet's Report Studio is just to add the items to your query (from the query explorer). Either that or add them to your report on the report page, then select and cut them (don't delete!).

In Cognos 8, you need to perform an extra step as some new technology was added to improve the efficiency of queries. For C8, in addition to the above you need to select your display object on the page (list, crosstab, chart etc) then go to the 'Properties' property and check the items from the query you wish to associate, or they will get ignored.

The box type property is definitely not required in this scenario.

Hope that helps!

MF.

I'm using C8

I tried the cut method, but then my data was reordered in a way I didn't want. Going to the properties was the trick, thanks.

You heavyweights in this group should write a Report Studio book, cuz the 438 Report Studio manual is poor, at best.

I don't suggest cutting anything. The approch mfgf gave above is the correct technique for C8, or writing the query first and then populating the report output manually. I think most hard core Report Studio report authors are going to author the query first and then the report second.

That ideaology is closer in line with impromptu.

I'm still not that keen on the web based interface.

Mike,

It certainly takes getting used to that is for sure, but once you do I think you will see it's benefits and how you have much more control over the query, the objects in the report, and the overall process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back