Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report Studio - Problems formatting a Group Header

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanmku

Programmer
Jan 16, 2007
US
I am new to Cognos Report Studio. But I have reporting experience.

Currently I am facing a problem in a report where I am grouping the rows based on a certain column. Also I am using the column as a group header.

The issue is, How do I make the group header look in a desirable format. Say for example, Iam grouping the report based on month column, and I want the column header to look like 'Hiring made '||[MONTH]||','||[YEAR].

I tried the expression property, then Its not pulling the data based on Month column.

Any suggestion is more helpful. Thanks in Advance.

Kumar

Hi,

One of the great features of Report Studio is the ability to unlock the structure of the display object and customise their contents.

For the situation you describe above, do not attempt to calculate an item that concatenates your text, the month and the year. Instead, create the group header based just on Month, then press the padlock button on the toolbar so it appears unlocked.

Go to the toolbox tab, and drag a text item into the group header before the Month data item - enter your text (Hiring Made) followed by a space.
Drag another text item into the header after the Month data item - enter a comma.
Drag the Year data item into the heading after the comma, then finally press the padlock button again to re-lock the structure.

Best regards,

MF.

Thanks and I appreciate for your timely help, sir.

I was trying the exact thing that you described in your reply. Creating a data item that has the Month and the year and then grouping on that. But there was an issue with sort.

Thanks Again.

Kumar

I forgot something in my previous reply.

Keep checking this forum. We need your support.

Thanks
Kumar

Hi,

What issue were you getting with the sort? Is it still a problem?

MF.

No, I meant that previously when I didn't know how to change the group header. I was creating a data item which starts with the month name and then year. so it was sorting based on the string.

Now based on your suggestion, I unlock the structure. And It works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back