Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report Studio Problem Convrting Varchar to date

Status
Not open for further replies.

As120379

Programmer
May 31, 2008
CA
Hi- I am having a problem in converting a varchar to date in report studio. What is happening is I have a cube as a datasource to the report studio. When I try to perform any > or = etc operations between the cube element and the day say current date it says "UDA-SQL-0460 A general exception has occurred during local processing. UDA-EE-0094 The operation "equal" is invalid for the following combination of data types: "varchar" and "date2" RSV-SRV-0042". Now when I use Cast function and say "cast([Cube - AP_AR].[Date].[Date].[Day].[Day - Long Name],Date)=current_date" on data Item I get the following error message when I run the report "UDA-SQL-0144 An arithmetic exception was detected. UDA-EE-0029 A date/time value is invalid. UDA-SQL-0460 A general exception has occurred during local processing. UDA-CUR-0000 Unable to fetch the row." Interestingly I don't get any errors when I validate the report. Please advice.

Thanks in Advance

For more info.. Initially I was not able to see the folder called "Vendor Specific Functions" in the function tab but somehow I was able to get it now but those functions are not working either. Please advice How could I achieve this

The Vendor specific functions are targeted at the various relational databases, but in your case the datasource is a cube. Mixing SQL functions with an OLAP source is not the best approach.
To be honest I have no idea if there is an equivalent to cast in MDX (SQL for OLAP sources)
One way to solve this is by modifying the cube sources and adding a dimension that stores the varchar as date.

Bye the way, the report validation does not validate the the query generated as this is compiled and executed at run-time.

Ties Blom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back