Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report Studio - Display Summary Only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadet84

Programmer
Jul 7, 2005
US
Help!

I am new to Cognos ReportNet. I am trying to create a simple list report with two calculated columns. The calculated columns are conditional counts of other query items. Example:
Town CalcCol1 QueryItem1 CalcCol2 QueryItem2
Newton 1 1000 0 0
1 9876 1 1234
0 0 1 5432
Newton 2 10876 2 6666

Oldton 0 0 0 0
1 234 0 0
1 432 0 0
1 123 1 547
Oldton 3 789 1 547
All 5 11665 3 7213

What I am trying to do is display the summary (aggregate) only. So far, everthing I try results in me losing the calculations. Here is what I am trying to get:

Newton 2 10876 2 6666
Oldton 3 789 1 547
All 5 11665 3 7213

Any help would be greatly appreciated

john.d.dewitt@maine.gov

Hi,

Try this:
* Group the report by the "Town" column
* For every other column (assuming they all contain numbers to be aggregated), in the page view, click on the column data item, and in the properties window, under "Data Item" there should be a property called "Aggregate Function". You need to make sure that this is not set to 'None' for any of your measures - if you want to total the column, set the value to 'Total' - other values available are average, min, max etc

Cheers
J

Hi JGirl,

Thanks for the help, but I am still doing something wrong. I can't get rid of the detail row and keep only the summary rows (that's all I really need for this report). Is there a way to suppress or hide the detail and only see the summary data?

Many thanks,
kadet84

hay Kadet84

try this:

in the tabular level
in property list left side:

for 'town' aggregate function---'none'
for calcol1,queryitem1,calcal2 and queryitem2 select the aggregate function as 'total'
and now select these in to the query.

another way:

in the tabular level create 4 data items for total(total(cal1)..etc)
one for each(cal1,queryitm1,queryitem2,cal2)
and do the group by 'town'then town comes in to the dimension list ,
now drag these 4 data items under 'town' and in the page
select 'town' and the 4 data items u created. for each data item there is a property
'level of span' select 'town' there
(that means those data item values should change each time class value changes')

now give it a try...that's what i did.

or dont select detail columns into the query just keepem at tabular level.
hope i explained it properly.

let me know how it went.

----------------
i've a question for you
how did u do conditional counting?
i'm trying for that

i've class,style,stylestatus

i can count number of styles in each class (count[styles] for [class])
but i want to count number of styles in each class which have 'stylestatus' 4 or 6.

Thank you

Hi chinnaseenu,

I'm not very good with CRN but for the counting function you are describing you might want to try inserting a calculated column with and if-then construct. What I do is go into Toolbox, drag a calculation to my list and then insert my if-then statement like:

if stylestatus = 4 or stylestatus = 6 then
count(1)
else
(0)
That seems to work for me, but you might want to get another opinion. Thanks for you post. We are having database issues but as soon as its back up I will try your solutions.

Thanks,
jdd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back