Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report spools to HP DeskJet but disappears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jabruno

MIS
Apr 4, 2001
US
I am experiencing a perplexing sitation in reagard to certain HP DeskJet Printers. When I print a report I can see that the report is being sent to the printer. However, as soon as the spooling is complete, the report disappears. It is as if some contral character(s?) are aborting the printing.

The same report(s) works fine for other printers, Lasers etc. I am running CR 8 and this behavior happens when testing from 8 and when running in the CR 7 runtime environment.

Any ideas? Thanks

We are experiencing the same problem with any deskjet printer connected locally to a PC running a thin client session(Metaframe 1.8), all other network printers(lasers) are working fine.

I have discovered that administrator can print to them, so I presume the drivers and server/client mappings are all OK. But with any other user, the job hits the queue, the printer sounds like it will print, job disappears and then nothing.

Any solution yet?

The problem disappeared. All I can think of (in retrospect) is that the drivers were out of date or, (I suspect) that the default name of the printer in the report in some way caused the problem. This of course does not make much sense.

I have since made sure that when a report is distributed, the name of the default printer will not exist on any users PC. Silly, I know, but it does resolve the problem of when the name of the printer exists on the users PC and it may not be set as the default printer. You might want to try this out.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back