Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report spaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccjjscb

Technical User
Jan 18, 2006
US
Hello all,
I am a casual user of Access and am having a problem with a report. I have a form that has 8 text boxes that can be used to input information into for Inbound and Outbound item. This updates a query, and I have a report that uses the query to return the information. What I can't figure out is how to stop the blank spaces on the report for any text boxes that are not filled in. As you can see below, if I only need to use 4 of the boxes for one of the sections the report creates a space where the unused box would be. How do I make the report not insert a space for any text boxes not used on the form?
Thanks for any and all help

Inbound
1.Inbound Stuff
2.Inbound Stuff
3.Inbound Stuff
4.Inbound Stuff

Outbound
1.OutBound Stuff
2.ETC…

Does your report have a record source? What are the control sources of the text boxes on the report?

Generally forms are bound to tables so the values are stored in a table. The report then uses the table (or tables) in its Record Source and display field values in bound text boxes. Is this anything close to what you have set up?

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

The record source is a table. The form adds a record in the table. What you descibe is correct. If I don't use one of the text boxes on the form it creates a space on the form. Hope this helps.
Chris

You can set the "Can Shrink" property of a text box on a report to shrink it. This should move everything below it up a little as long as there is nothing to the left or right of the Can Shrink text box.

BTW: Your table structure seems like it might not be normalized. If the InBound Stuff and OutBound Stuff create individual records in a related table, you might not have a problem attempting to shrink controls.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

I'll give that a shot and see if it works. Thanks for the reply and the table suggestions.
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back