Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report Smith and ADP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimgarry

MIS
May 16, 2000
I am looking for a way to get data out of ADP software. I know ADP uses Report Smith. Is this a product I can buy off the shelf to get data out of ADP?

Thanks in advance
Jim

Usually, ReportSmith comes with your installation software for ADP. Depending on which ADP version you have (PCPW, HRiozon, Enterprise V2) a version of ReportSmith should come with it. ReportSmith is a third party software that you can buy off the shelf, but ADP tweaks the product to include (for instance)Effective Dated Rows as in Enterprise V2. But yes, you can still use the off the shelf version (from the the web site srs-inc.com)and extract data from ADP tables...it's just the connection that gets tricky sometimes.

You can also use sqltalk and use sql commands and spool it to file...

You can use any other SQL tool to get a data from ADP. Its just a matter of establishing a connection to the database. Be sure to have a privilege on reading the tables, etc.

Gary
ADP/Peoplesoft - Developer/Administrator
acurasrx@netzero.net

ADP delivers ReportSmith 3.11 with their products. Depending on whether you are on Oracle or SQL Server and how your ReportSmith.ini file is setup, you might have to login different ways.

Also, be aware of the effective date logic and translate setup.

Basically, if you do not have ReportSmith either on your workstation or on the Citrix environment, you need to get your IS dept to install it.

I know this is off-topic but it looks like posters here are familiar with ADP (payroll company) which my question is related to and was hoping someone's created custom reports for their E-time product.

Any ADP E-Time users out there that have created custom crystal reports for it?

TIA

P.S. I'll try my luck in the Crystal forums.

I've created a whole library of reports for eTIME. The joins are not very intuitive, but it can be done. The only problem I have with reporting off an eTIME database in general is the very, very slow performance due to the number of row returned - one employee can have six rows of data per day if they are a time stamp employee.

gtarrant,

Do you know if it's possible to create custom report to be viewed in E-time and can only be viewed by the superuser account or any account with the same rights as the superuser?

Thanks.

Within eTIME you can create hyper-finds, but those turn out to be rather limited. Using ReportSmith, this would be outside the application using an ODBC connection. The user who generates reports with ReportSmith would need the user id and password for the database server, which is outside eTIME's application security. In answer to your question (if I have it right) ReportSmith can not be used WITHIN the eTIME application.

gtarrant,

Which reporting tool did you use to create E-time reports? If crystal, did you ever use a stored procedure as a data source?

I would like to use a sql server stored procedure but not quite sure how to tie it to the E-time application.

How can I establish a connection from sql to eTime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back