Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report Request and Design Spec Document 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhKnow

MIS
Jun 30, 2001
US
Hello all

I am currently designing reports for a client using Jet 3.5 DB and CR 7. The work is a mix of conversion of existing and new from scratch reports.

I feel my job would be made easier if I could use a report design spec document to base all designs on . The idea being that the customer specifies (and I document) his requirement at the beginning to avoid 'creeping' changes - else I'll end up working on one ever changing report for a long time. The document would also act as a signoff sheet when the report was completed 'vs' the spec.

To save me reinventing the wheel - does anyone use a form that works and they wouldn't mind sharing with me/the forum?

I've had a look around in the FAQ's etc and cannot find anything in existance. The CR User Guide gives a brief overview of the design process which, if all else fails, I'll base a design spec document on.

Kind regards

James

Below are the questions that I use as a starting point. I don't make them a form, because I have found that most user's need to be walked through the questions if they are going to answer them well.

These Qx assume a columnar report, so you can add things like charts and cross-tabs. If you need subreports, I would define them separately.

In my experience, the "rough diagram" is the most important. If the user won't provide one, you should sketch a rough layout before you invest too much time. This is the quickest way to make sure you are in the same ballpark.

1. What will the report be named? Make it unique so that similar reports aren't confused.
2. Can you provide a rough diagram of the report's layout?
3. Do you want to see the detailed individual records or just the subtotals and grand totals?
4. Do you want the report to prompt you for any parameters, like a date ranges?
5. What other "fixed" criteria do the records have to meet to be included in the report?
6. What column headings should there be, and in what order?
7. What database field should go under each heading?
8. List any subtotal columns that should be included in the report.
9. Define each subtotal's operation (count, sum, etc.) and identify the column subtotaled.
10. How often does each subtotal appear? This defines the groups needed.
11. Define each grand total's operation and identify the column totaled.
12. Do you want any page breaks, and if so how often?
13. In what order should the detail records be sorted between subtotals and page breaks?
14. Do you want the report name on the top of each page, or the first page only?
Ken Hamady
On-site custom Crystal Reports Training and Consulting.
Quick Reference Guide to using Crystal in VB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back