Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report RecordSource not working 100%. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petemush

Technical User
Jun 21, 2002
GB
I have the following code in the on open event of my form:

Private Sub Report_Open(Cancel As Integer)

Dim
sDate As Date, eDate As Date

sDate = Format(Form_frmDatePicker.ActiveXCtl1, "Short Date")
eDate = Format(Form_frmDatePicker.ActiveXCtl3, "Short Date")

Me.RecordSource = "SELECT * FROM qryDNA WHERE ([Course Date] >= #" _
& sDate & &quot;# And [Course Date] <= #&quot; & eDate & &quot;#)&quot;

End Sub

For some reason, the record doesn't produce the correct results. For test purposes, I have a table with six records in it, all containing different dates in one field. I pick two dates where only 3 of these records should be displayed yet 5 records are shown.

It would make more sense if all 6 were shown but they're not.

Anyone know whats up?

Cheers,

Pete

Pete,

Did you try the Between operator?
Code:
Me.RecordSource = &quot;SELECT * FROM qryDNA WHERE ([Course Date] Between #&quot; & sDate & &quot;# And #&quot; & eDate & &quot;#)&quot;

Okay I've worked out the problem but I'm not sure how to fix it!

All my dates are stored in the database using the British convention short date: dd/mm/yy

For some reason, sDate and eDate are being treated as American dates: mm/dd/yy

So when I have the dates

19/07/02 - 19th July 2002
19/08/02 - 19th August 2002
23/02/02 - 23rd February 2002
19/06/02 - 19th June 2002
05/01/02 - 5th January 2002
04/07/02 - 4th July 2002

And have the start and end dates:

Start Date = 01/07/02 - 1st July 2002
End Date = 12/8/02 - 12th August 2002

the start and end dates are actually being treated thus:

Start Date = 01/07/02 - 7th January 2002
End Date = 12/8/02 - 8th December 2002

this explains why 5 of the six dates are being shown, because that's how many british dates fall in the american range.

Now all I need to know is what's causing this, I have my suspicions that its the caldendar control I got from Microsoft's free stuff site. I've checked all the way during the process and if I pick the 1st of July as a date, it's stored as 01/07/02, the british convention for writing the 1st of July but the system is treating it as the 7th of January.

I tried using dates that would make no sense in the american style:

18/7/02 - British: 18th July 2002 - American: Nonsensical

and sure enough I got a &quot;no records exist&quot; message when there should be records.

What's making the system do this? I checked the regional settings and they're fine, not using Format has not made a difference either!

Please Help!

Cheer,

Pete

I'm using A97 but still tried implementing the suggestion and it didn't work, still get wrong records.

Did you try formatting the date to the British convention from the start?? Instead of:
Code:
sDate = Format(Form_frmDatePicker.ActiveXCtl1, &quot;Short Date&quot;)
eDate = Format(Form_frmDatePicker.ActiveXCtl3, &quot;Short Date&quot;)
try:
Code:
sDate = Format(Form_frmDatePicker.ActiveXCtl1, &quot;dd/mm/yy&quot;)
eDate = Format(Form_frmDatePicker.ActiveXCtl3, &quot;dd/mm/yy&quot;)

Yep, doesn't make a difference.

I have an example database if anyone wants to test themselves. I think I'm going to have to give up using the Calendar control, I reckon that's what's causing all of this.

Pete

There you go, all sent. I added a little note in the email about how to test it, just in case it's unclear where to start.

Cheers,

Pete

Pete,

A fix with explanation is on the way. Let me know how it works for you.....

I've managed to fix it already, I found a Knowledge Base article that while not relating directly to my problem, explained why it was happening:

When you use Visual Basic for Applications to concatenate dates into an SQL string, you must use a standard U.S. date format, regardless of the region that you have set in the Regional Settings tool in Control Panel. This article shows you....

Cheers for the help Cosmo, I expect your solution is better than mine so I expect I 'll use it. I ended up turning the date selected into a string and then into an american date using datepart but I think that's a bit long winded.

Cheers again,

Pete

What about using Y2K year formats, &quot;yyyy&quot;?
Would that not have resolved your problem?

Matt Matt Jenkins
Information Engineer - EDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back