Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report on Tape Space Usage Per Client 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoyB

MIS
Jul 10, 2002
EU
Hi,

A quick question from a Legato Noob that I hope you guys will be able to help me out with.

We Run Legato Version 7 on Unix to backup a large group of servers (Unix Hosts and Wintel Hosts).

Each machine owner is billed by accounting according to how much data they currently store on tape.

My question is, is it possible to produce a report with Legato that show the total amount of tape space that is used by each of the clients. Its important that this imformation include tapes that are no longer in the Silos and have been taken off site for long term storage.

Please let me know if you can help or if you require anymore information.

Many thanks,

This is not as easy as it sounds. The story is that NW has been optimized for internal reports but not for client accounting. It just can report about savesets and databases.

What you have to do is a two step process:

For each client do
begin
mminfo -q client -r "name, totalsize, volume" > file1
mminfo -q client -r "totalsize" > file2
end
For each client do
begin
? add ? all sizes < file2
end

Unfortunately, the last command can not achieved by the NW software.

Hope this helps.

Thanks very much for the quick reply.

As usual there are more questions.....:)

Does this actually report on the total disk space usage or just how much was backed up?

For example if I re-use a tape in my rotation, will the commands you give above take into account that it has been overwritten or will I end up with a figure at twice the value?

Just to clarify, I am after the size of the data currently on tapes, not backed up.

Please read Tape Space above in the third paragraph, not disk space.

Sorry.

As you query the media db, it reports backup capacity.

Of course it can not report old save set information from an overwritten tape.

You will need to specify which volumes are tape volumes as well. He did not say but if he is doing a D2D2T scenario then he would get the total amount on both disk and tapes. So he would want to limit by volume name as well.

mminfo -q "client=<clientname>,volume=<volumename> -r "volume,totalsize"

He would then need to total those out through his script.

Depending on your setup you probably have more than one tape volume so you will need to go through all the volumes to get a complete total. That should be a fun script!

Thanks for the feedback, Ive already put a script together that give us what we want.

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back