Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report not printing correctly on Oki dot matrix printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

icodian

IS-IT--Management
Aug 28, 2001
US
Printing on an Okidata Microline 320 Turbo dot matrix printer. I am printing an invoice generated in Crystal Reports.

While previewing the report, it looks beautiful. Upon printing, a variety of errors occur and there doesn't seem to be any consistency. Sometimes when I print the invoice, a few lines are skipped (a subtotal will be skipped one time, yet look fine the next time for example)...other times it will only print half of the invoice.

The same report will print fine to my HP Laserjet...

I was told that the printer should be in Epson emulation mode and to use the Epson FX-800 driver. I have tried this but it hasn't helped. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Is there a compatibility issue with this Oki printer and Crystal Reports?

Thanks for any assistance.

I've never used one of those printers so I don't have experience with any issues they might have.

Unchecking the "Free-Form Placement" option in File | Options is supposed to reduce printer driver dependency. Also, you may want to try playing with the "Default Properties" checkbox in File | Printer Setup by comparing performance when it's checked and unchecked.

I'm not really sure what else to try. Do the print errors only occur when printing from CRW and not Word or other apps?

Thanks for the reply. I will play with the two settings you mentioned. I appreciate the suggestions.

The printing errors only occur through Crystal Reports. All other apps seems to print fine, so I was hoping it could be fixed through the report config. I'll give your suggestions a try and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

I've had some problems with Crystal and an Okidata printer in the past. Some things that you might want to try:

- make sure that your margins are not too small
- you may want to try updating the driver again
- make sure the report was created using the Okidata as its default printer
- Since crystal prints as a graphic to a dot matrix printer, you may just want to set up the printer as a generic/text only printer.

Most of this information I gleaned from various threads in tek-tips, so you might just get what you need if you do a keyword search

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back