Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report Keeps crashing Access on open Preview, Print, and design

Status
Not open for further replies.

markphsd

Programmer
Jun 24, 2002
US
I have a couple of reports that their modules seem to be corrupted on. I have backups, so this question is most acedemic, but i can't seem to repair the problem.

Here's a list of problems that occur.
1. Open the report in preview, print or design; result: access crashes.
2. Open the reports Module, then try to edit anything in it; result: access crashes.

I can edit other code in the db. But not on the reports.

Solutions i've tried. I tried the solution for Network Error that happens sometimes when trying to compile or use code. It goes something like, "Import objects into new system, Compile code, shut down, re-open, compact and repair"

I don't know what else to do.

Any ideas, any similiar encounters?

Mark P.

Bleh

Mark:

I have encountered something similar in Access 2K where I have imported '97 forms/modules and made the mistake of not immediately compiling the code.

Check out the MSKB article 279334, How to repair a damaged Jet 3.5 Database especially item #9. This describes how to decompile (with the /decompile switch in the command line) which will, supposedly, repair damaged code.

I found it after I had already recreated my damaged db so I never tested it.

Larry De Laruelle
ldelaruelle@familychildrenscenter.org

Hi,

Have you tried creating a new database with nothing in there, then right clicking on the report and choosing export to save it out to the temp database, then see if you can get into design.
It won't work of course because the tables/queries it uses won't be in there, but you could try deleting it from the original (or better, rename it to something else) and then reimport it from the old db.

Another solution: Have you tried doing just a repair (no compact)? Doing this is quite tricky but worth knowing. I will give you instructions if you wish, but please let me know which version of Access you are using and Windows you are running on so I can create the correct instructions.

John

Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately neither of them worked.

Because i do regular back ups this would hardly ever be a real issue. I'm not so interested in fixing the problem; I'm really interested in knowing the reason it's broken, or what is actually broken.

Thanks for your thoughts though.

Mark P.

Bleh

Oh, and i'm using access2002 soo.. I should have mentioned that. Oops.

Mark P.

Bleh

Update:

It appears it's Access itself that is the problem. I ended up reinstalling windows, and office developer. All the databases worked fine, for about 4 weeks. Now they are again crashing on certain reports.

Has anyone experienced this. I know it can't be the db's now because after I do a ful reinstall it works.

Uninstalling XPOffice Developer hasn't seemed to be enough. I have to completely reinstall windows and then install XP.

This is the only problem that my computer seems to be having. Perhaps there's nothing anyone on here can do. I'll have to troubleshoot it myself.

Just wondering.

Mark P.

Bleh

This may be completely unrelated. I had a '97 .mdb I put together and made the mistake of using 'name' and 'date' as field names. It worked OK, never had a problem. Moved to Access 2000, it worked OK for a while (a few weeks or so), then got real flakey. Access crashed any time I tried to do a report with a lot of grouping. Monkeyed with the default printers and all. Ended up, I changed the field names that had the reserved words in them, and all seems to be well (at least for the last few weeks). As soon as I changed 'date' to 'ddate', it went back to working fine. I changed 'name' to 'nname' hoping to avoid any future problems ;-)

I have exactly zero real Access training, so I probably missed the obvious. But either way, that's what happened to me :)

--
JR

Well, I've been trying to think of recent changes I've made.

That's kind of what i'm thinking is creating the problem.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Mark P.

Bleh

I have has similar problems running Access 2000. When printing certain reports on WinXP with the Office Service Pack 2 everything is OK.

If I move that db to W2K no SP and Access 2000 no SP, those reports crash. On a W2K (latest updates from MS) with Access 2000 no SP, everythin is OK.

It might be the environment, it could also be a badly fragmented hard drive (seen it happen several times).

Bruce

Folks

Two things to consider...

- Delete your TEMP files. Reports are stored in your TEMP directory. For some of my big time Access users I find I have to delete of 200 MB of temp files to resolve this problem.
- Resources. MS Access used crash on me any time I tried to create a report. I added more memory and the problem went away.

Richard

Thanks for the responses:

here was my fix. I did a system restore with xp. Access started working again.

On the system restore the only system change i had done was install the anti blaster worm patch.

Well, i couldn't not have that patch, so I reinstalled it.

Access continues to work.

I'm not really sure what it is. Yeah, i regularly do a disk clean up and a defrag. So it wasn't that.

I'm just bummed last time i didn't think to do a system restore. What's wrong with me! That ability is one of the coolest features, not independent to xp or anything, it's just really cool.

Peace out hommies. Thanks for the advice.

Mark P.

Bleh

Hello and HELP!

I'm having a somewhat similar problem, but I don't have a corrupted db. I've tried the advice in this thread without success.

I'm having a problem printing reports from both A 97 and A 2000 on two of my 6 computers. Both computers are running Win 2000 Server. Both computers have printed correctly in the past. I get the following error when I try to print
or print preview:
======================================
ABD.MDB: Msaccess.exe-Application Error

The instruction at "0x77fcbacc" referenced memory at "0xfffffff8". The
memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program.
=========================================

I replaced the mdb with one from a computer that is working correctly. This
didn't help.

PLEASE don't suggest that it is a memory or a hardware problem because it definately IS NOT! I've relpaced the memory, the motherboard, and the processor. When that didn't help I replaced the entire computer with a new
(P4 2.6 Gig) and did an fdisk and a clean install of EVERYTHING! But I still have this problem.

If someone can tell me the secret, I'd be forever in your debt!

Alan

Hey, the only solution i came up with was this:

restore your system with system state restore. XP has this function, i dont' know if server 2000 has it. but if you do regular back ups of your system state, this should maybe work.

this worked for me. when i was having this problem i couldn't just reinstall access, or office. I had to reinstall my system. to get Acces back and running. The next time it happened i realized i could use system state restore. I moved it back to the previous day and wahlla!!

Mark P.

Bleh

JoGreen

Well, i wasn't using A2000 when this occured. i was using A2002. I was just mentioning Server 2000 in the last post.

Mark P.

Bleh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back