Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report Instances Hang in Running Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrennatc

Programmer
Aug 12, 2004
US
I'm using CE 9 with Oracle 8i as the back end. We run a majority of our reports overnight. Occasionally we have report instances that show a status of running much longer than the normally should. A check of the datbase sessions shows that no Crystal Reports are currently running. I've noticed that it happens more often when we have a large number of reports scheduled to run at the same time. Has anyone else experienced this and is there a way to determine what is causing these reports to hang?

First of all, are they truly "hanging" (never complete) or just taking a long time to run? Are they recurring schedules or on-demand? How did you determine that they are "running much longer than the normally should"?

I determined they were hanging when they showed running status for over 10 hours when past runtimes had shown half an hour or less. It's happening on both recurring reports and single scheduled instances.

Hi,
Can you ( or your DBA) check the database being used to see what, if anything, the Query is doing when the report is in that 'running' state..
Also,can you run it 'On Demand'?

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

The query is no longer present on the database. I just made it occur again, and I watched the query running (went for about an hour) and then it disappeared from the database side. The instance in Crystal is still showing a "running" status and has been for at least two hours after the query finished. We use Oracle's Rule Based Optimizer, and the original query for the report has not been optimized correctly. So, I think I can get around the problem by reworking the query, but I would still think Crystal should either fail or return the data set.

We faced similar problem in one of our environment and it ended up the problem with ODBC. We had Data Direct ( third party ) ODBC for Oracle and this server was 4 processor and we had license only for 2. Well the ODBC was working fine as it was using the evaluation key for some reason to make sure it runs on 4 proc machine. Then when the expiration date came, we got this problem where the instances simply hang in RUNNING stage.We never had this problem with Data Direct ver 4.1 but got it with data Direct 4.2
The simple test to determine if this is the problem, run the report in crystal designer on same server, you should get a warning or prompt saying you are not registered and make sure to register it, one u hit OK the rpeort works fine in designer but not on CE.
The other way to determine this is use any other ODBC conn may be CR ot Microsoft for testing it. if it runs fine then this was issue for sure.
There was a hot fix on business objects website if the instances are showing PENDING i repeat PENDING and not RUNNING., but if they are hanging in RUNNING, please make sure to do above test...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back