Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report - Insert Image - Limit displayed folders/files

Status
Not open for further replies.

volfreak

Programmer
Nov 6, 2000
US
In our application, we allow the users to customize reports where we fire up MODIFY REPORT <filename.frx> and the users can add fields, insert logos, etc.

When they go to locate an image file, we'd like to limit what folders/files are visible to them. Is it possible to replace the "File Open" (Windows Explorer) dialog with our own where we can control access?

If it's not currently available in VFP7/8, might it be possible in VFP9 (I hear the report environment is being revamped and made object-based so control should be considerably better)?

Thanks much in advance.

The only way to "control" access to certain folders, would be to create your own file picker. How about a form using the Treeview? You could load it up with whatever directories and files you deem "acceptable".

I wouldn't hold out much hope for this change in VFP 9.0, it's not truly a Report only feature and it's not really an OOP issue - just a file picker!

Rick

Thanks Rick. That's what I've kind of figured. I have looked at the tree view.

If I were going to do this, how do I intercept the call to the File...Open dialog when a user clicks the Insert OLE/Image button and brings up the dialog to set the file name? If I can intercept that, I can do what I need to.

Take care.

Hum, so you are using the standard VFP Edit menu pad. <s> (Of course, that's the way it probably has to be if you are letting them create a report.) I don't know of any way to do this - I was envisioning that you just had a button on the form to get the image(s).

I guess you need someone really smart!

Rick

Thanks for the follow-up, Rick. I appreciate it.

I figured I was limited in what I could control but was hoping for some nugget of info that maybe I'd overlooked. Will just have to delve into it deeper. ;-)

Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back