Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

REPORT HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

youdaman

Technical User
Dec 26, 2001
US
I have a form that contains an unbound list box that shows data from a inventory table. I have code that lets you select multiple items from that list box and stores the values in the main table separated by a semicolon. The problems is that when I want a report on just one item, the report shows the correct data but the report header shows the whole list. i.e. I select socks, shoes and shirt from the list box. Those values are stored in the table. I have a report that I enter soc* when prompted for the item I want. On the report header, it shows Item: shoes,shirt,socks. I guess the values are seen as one big String. How would I parse just to get socks to show up on the header? Tks!!

I think this should do it for you. I will test it out to make sure.

Mid$(<FieldName>,Instr(1,<FieldName>, &quot;;&quot; & vSelParameter)+1, Instr(Instr(1,<FieldName>, &quot;;&quot; & vSelParameter)+1,<FieldName>, &quot;;&quot;)- 1)

Bob Scriver

Sorry, there is a small adjustment.

Mid$([StringField], InStr(1, [StringField], &quot;;&quot; & <vParameter>) + 1, (InStr(InStr(1, [StringField], &quot;;&quot; & <vParameter>) + 1, [StringField], &quot;;&quot;) - 1) - InStr(1, [StringField], &quot;;&quot; & <vParameter>))
End Sub

[StringField] is your field from your table with the string of values seperated by semi-colon. Make sure that the last record also has a semi-colon behind it also. <vParameter> is the search value. Shi for shirts or enough characters to uniquely identify the word requested. If you only have one S then a single S will find Shirt. But if you have Shirts and Shoes you need to use Shi to find the Shirts.

I hope this helps you.

Bob Scriver

thanks for the response. So I put this code in the report header field area or add a text box and add the code on the report??

This can be the Control Source of a text box on your report. Or you can use it in code and use it in an expression to assign the value returned to a text box. Or, you could use in in the query that provides the recordset for the report and create a new column with this expression.

All of these will work. You just have to supply the correct parameters which are the red coded areas. This could be a field name, control name, global variables, etc.

If you have a specific situation describe it and I can help you to fill in the blanks.

Bob Scriver

I am using a like statement for the user to enter the search string via a msg box. For vParameter, how would I specify the input box as the vParam? I plugged the above code into the control area of my text box in my report and I get a syntax error when I run the report. Thanks for your help.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back