Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

report formating and formulas

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdagz

Programmer
Oct 10, 2007
Hi,
I am trying to change the width of a column with a formula, but it's not working.
i have added code to the width formula under size and position but does not have any effct.

i tried the following

booleanvat testWidth;
testWidth = True;
if testWidth = true then
else

this should have made the column wider but when I refresh the report nothing happends.

i also tried some thing similar in the X to move the column over to the right but again nothing happens.

any tell me what i am doing wrong ?

That box uses a different kind of unit and I can't recall what they are called (yips,kips?), but try using a formula like this:

booleanvat testWidth;
testWidth = True;
if testWidth = true then
else

-LB

Hey LB,

You're probably thinking of twips. There are 1440 twips to an inch, 567 to a centimeter.

Lyle

Thank you! Yes, that's it--at least I had the rhyming right! I think you can do a search on twips in the CR help, but first you have to remember what they are called!

-LB

Yup, it was the rhyming that got me thinking along the correct lines. :)

Lyle

Ok thanks that worked, why the hell do they use different measurements between the formula and the manual screen that's just complicates it.

:)

Hi mrdagz,

Twips come from the really old days and are actually a typesetting measurement. Here is a slightly more up to date explanation.

Twips are screen-independent units to ensure that the proportion of screen elements are the same on all display systems. A twip is defined as being 1/1440 of an inch.

A Pixel is a screen-dependent unit, standing for 'picture element'. A pixel is a dot that represents the smallest graphical measurement on a screen.

Basically twips are a constant measurement whereas pixels are relative.

Lyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back