Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report fomatting

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiffy

Technical User
Jul 3, 2001
GB
We have a database of customers which amongst others includes schools.
We want to send a letter to all schools (who are identified by customertype = 27) to ask them to let us know when they will be closed for the school holidays.
Each school has a varying number of departments, which are identified by a code (cc). Each code is unique to each dept of each school.
There are about 350 schools and over 1000 depts.
Each dept may have different closing times, hence including them on the letter.

I have have produced a report which lists each school one per page with the departments listed beneath in a single column.
The trouble is, some schools have over 30 depts which means that the column goes onto a 2nd page. This is a terrible waste of paper and looks very amateurish.

Can anyone tell me how to have the dept code (cc) either go horizontally across the page or in columns?

I've checked previous posts but nothing seems to work.
There was one on 12th April 2001 by natesin which seems closest but I can't get the query to work from within a report even as an SQL statement.

Please help!

I am assuming that your dept list is narrow and long and there is notheing on the rest of the page to the right of the list.

You have your report as you want it now, place a subreport on your report then take your dept list field and remove it from the main report and place it on a subreport in the place where the dept list field was. Set the subreport as wide as you want it to print.

Close your main report and open the subreport, set up your field that you removed from the main report, determine its width, then click file, page setup, the column tab set the number of columns you want and the width and spacing, wheither you want them to print accross or down the page.

Test and adjust to suit your preferences.

Good Luck

Butch

That seems to work!
Thanks very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back