Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report field spacing question 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mman74

MIS
Aug 10, 2001
HK
I have a report displaying fields such as First Name and Last Name. When I create my report I have to lay out the space to print First Name and then Last Name. If a person's first name is particularly short, his first name becomes quite distanced from his last name. Is there a way to make the width of the first name variable according to the length of the data in that record so that I can overcome this problem?
Thank you.

Create a new text variable and set it to this:

me!FirstName & " " & Me!LastName

The & concatenation operator will shove both parts together, stripping off the trailing blanks from FirstName (which, actually, shouldn't be there in the first place) and then wedge one space between that and the LastName string.

Use this SINGLE column guy instead of two columns for First and Last.

Jim

Me? Ambivalent? Well, yes and no....
Another free Access forum:
More Access stuff at

You can merge the fields. First create an unbound text box (the button looks like ab|). Then in the control source property for that text box, type something like this:

=[First Name] & " " & [Last Name]

Where the text inside the brackets are your actual field names.

Thank you very much Wildhare & Celeste025!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back