Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report does not recognize ref to form

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredk

Technical User
Jul 26, 2001
US
I tried to post this in the forms section and in the general questions but have not received any feedback to help me. Therefore, I am trying to post in reports section.

I have several reports that use a startdate, enddate and a market field from a form. In my report I refer to the form to describe what is on the report - here is an example:

=IIf(IsNull([Forms]![frmreport]![market]),"all markets",[Forms]![frmreport]![market] & " " & "market only") & " " & "- dates between" & " " & [Forms]![frmreport]![startdate] & " " & "and" & " " & [Forms]![frmreport]![enddate]

For some reason, I occasionally get an error that states:

Microsoft Access can't find the field 'forms' referred to in your expression

Like I said, it only happens occasionally - when it does, I must run a different report first and then I can run the report that gives me the problem.

any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!

Are you closing the form at any point while the report is open or in its On Close event?

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]

Ah, Duane.... I have been hoping you would help.

I am not closing the form. However, I have a frmdata that is open. There is a button on frmdata to open frmreports.

The frmdata has some code (nothing I would think that would effect this problem) to allow the data to be edited when you click either the edit or add button - (i.e oncurrent event has

Me.AllowEdits = False
Me.AllowAdditions = True

The only other thing that I want to mention is that the frmreports has a tab control and I used 3 fields that will be used for criteria accross all tabs. Meaning, when I created them, I dropped them in the detail section so they would be seen accross all tabs. I then moved them to the header.

Duane, thanks again for taking the time!!!!!

Fred

Duane, one more piece of information - I jusr added some code to my buttons used to run the reports - I just added:

Me.startdate.SetFocus

I am not getting the error now (at least the 50 times that I just tested I did not get the error)

Could if have something to do with the tab control and focus being on that rather than that actual form?

Thanks again!!

Fred

I would think it is something else.

Duane MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green] [red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]

I have looked through everything an unable to figure out a reason - One other issue that is going on (I mention it because maybe it will mean something to you) is that occasionally, the sub-form on frmgroups is blank.

Any other thoughts? Thanks!!!!

Fred

I'm really getting confused since you earlier mentioned forms:
[li]frmreport[/li]
[li]frmdata[/li]
and now you are adding mention of
[li]frmgroups[/li]
[li]a subform on frmgroups[/li]
What's up with all these forms?

Duane MS Access MVP

I mentioned from groups with the sub-form because I thought that form being open may somehow effect my from data. Here is what I am doing:

frmgroups is a data entry form that also contains a sub-form. From the frmgroups form there is also a button to open up frmreport. frmreport is the form I use to run reports from. When you open frmreport, frmgroups remains open and I was wondering if that was somehow effecting my issue with frmReport.

Like I said, the strange thing is it is happening infrequently.

Thanks!!!

Duane, one more update, I had another user test this database - they received an error that said:

"there was a font initialization error"

Thanks!!

I can't imagine what would cause the initial error. When the error occurs, I would try open the debug window (press Ctrl+G) and enter:
Code:
? [Forms]![frmreport]![market] & [Forms]![frmreport]![startdate] & [Forms]![frmreport]![enddate]

"font initialization error" - what have you done to troubleshoot this issue?

Duane MS Access MVP

the font initiatlization error only happened when the other user first tried to run a report - it has not happened since - I cannot recreate that error - I just mentioned it because I was not sure if they were somehow related but I guess not.

I reproduced the error and then ran the debug window - when I type in above, I get:

1/1/0612/31/06

However, if I type just [forms]![frmreport]![market] I get

Null

The query is set up so that if the market value is null, include all markets. ??

Thanks!!!!!

Fred

This only proves that even if the report generates an error, the reference to the form and controls works. I can't provide any other direction other than to suggest you have some corruption or something that you are telling us about.

Duane MS Access MVP

Okay - I appreciate your time and help.

If a form is not used for data entry, consider cleaning it up by setting:
Scroll Bars: Neither
Record Selectors: No
Navigation Buttons: No
Dividing Lines: No

Duane MS Access MVP

fredk can i just check with you that these are the results you expect using the formula at the top of this thread.

IIf(IsNull([Forms]![frmreport]![market]),"all markets",[Forms]![frmreport]![market] & " " & "market only") & " " & "- dates between" & " " & [Forms]![frmreport]![startdate] & " " & "and" & " " & [Forms]![frmreport]![enddate]

if the market textbox is null you get
"all markets - dates between STARTDATE and ENDDATE"

if its not null you get
"MARKET market only - dates between STARTDATE and ENDDATE"

The capitalised words relate to the input form data.
Is this what you expect as a result?

Ian Mayor (UK)
Program Error
Programming is 1% coding, 50% error checking and 49% sweat as your application bombs out in front of the client.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back