Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.

fdmadden

MIS
Jul 30, 2001
US
Hi there! I have a report (fairly new here) that is located inside a viewer. My terminal services locations cannot seem to print the report. They can see it and run it, but cannot print. Running win2k and CR version 8. Also, I used to get a box that allowed users to choose how to export but no longer. Any ideas how to get that back? I believe that went away when we updated our database to SQL.

What kind of Viewer?

Do you have any idea how the report is being generated, as in a VB app or Crystal Enterprise or a WEB app, or a compiled report???

Updating the database to SQL shouldn't alter how a Viewer is working, they're probably unrelated unless an application had some settings stored in a table that aren't the same now.

Here's a link to a blurb about remote printing using Crystal in Terminal Services, I've no idea if it's applicable:

-k kai@informeddatadecisions.com

I got my viewer(cView) to work fine with Citrix and terminal server, so the general principle says it should be possible to print the report.

Does the session have any printers configured? Editor and Publisher of Crystal Clear

I can confirm that, unless coded for that eventuality, printing from a Crystal Viewer application on Terminal Server can indeed misbehave. The problem occurs only under very specific circumstances and only if the Viewer application provides extra (non-default) functionality when the Print button is clicked.

About 3 months ago, I had to make a code change in my "DataLink Viewer" that fixed this issue for a user who has been running this tool ever since under Terminal Server without a problem.

Cheers,
- Ido CUT, Visual CUT, and DataLink Viewer:
view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

Sorry for being so vague! I am new to report creation and so far have been able to creat reports, compile and distribute them (although now I am getting MDAC errors, says I need it, Not a clue what to do now!) but anyway, this particular report has been working fine, except on Terminal Services locations. The report is being generated inside a vendor app I believe to be fox pro. (Not sure about that...) I do know it has a SQL back end.

My concern was that since the Citrix server is different from the SQL server when users click on the report to run it they see it, but the print function doesn't happen. Today I was successful at setting up a TCP/IP port printer and printing from inside the ap, but not a report in the viewer.

In answer to the last post YES the print dialogue does contain other functionality, it allows you to choose different reports. Ugghhh what a mess! What change did you make?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back