Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report Design Q 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMagikWand

Technical User
Aug 11, 2003
US
hey guys/gals,

im trying to create a large report that will hold assorted info on various clients we have(approx.15,000). i have 35 separate fields, some of which need to be included, some of which would just look nicer if they were included.

i want to somehow make a file that has a main report which lists clients name, account#, transaction#, payments, adjustments, service dates and time units on it. i also want to be able to select a client and have a subset of information for him/her, such as modifier codes, insuance companys, insurance addresses, so on and so forth...

so what im trying to ask is how will i create a main report and be able to create drop down sections, or just subreports that will include all of my data(i just cant get 40+ fields to fit on a printable report).

yes this is confusing, but if anyone has any suggestions or needs me to clarify anything please let me know.

Thanx a bunch,
B U D

Your detail band can be expanded to include mulitple rows of fields for each record.

Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Expert's Guide to Formulas / Tips and Tricks / Guide to Crystal in VB
- tek@kenhamady.com

You could also split your detail sections into multiple areas (right click on the D in designer, alongside the detail row, and select 'Insert Section Below'). Put the main info. in Detail A, and then put your additional fields into details B,C,D etc.

Once you've done that, you can add a parameter that will control which sections appear in your report. By default, all of the detail sections will appear. However, by using a parameter to prompt for detailed or summary report, you can suppress any of the detail sections.

By using this method, end users can determine what info they want to see. I prefer this to just throwing all of the info. on multiple lines as this can make for a confusing report. Taking this one step further, you could group similar information into each detail section, then create multiple parameters to control which type of information is displayed e.g. putting all of their contact info. (names, numbers etc.) into Detail section B, would allow you to create a prompt that said 'Include Contact Details?'. Create one prompt for each detail section, and really let the end users choose what they want.

Another option would be to group by customer and put all of the customer information into hidden (with drill-down) detail sections. Simply move the most relevent info into the group header or footer, and allow end-users to double-click and drill down to the underlying customer detail.

Phew!

Peter Shirley

wow,
much thanks to both of you guys. this will help alot.

again thanks,
B U D

ps, extra thanks to peter for writing a small novel to solve my problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back