Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report containing both "Tasks and Resources"

Status
Not open for further replies.

57chevy

Programmer
Jan 4, 2000
US
Help Please! I work for a residential builder using MS Project 2003.
My boss wants a report where there will be one column listing all the tasks and then multiple columns (one column for each resource), each column containing the number of hours of work projected for that particular task. I don't believe that Project is going to allow me to create such a view or table.
Does anyone know of a way to create this? Thank you much for your help.

If you want that exact report, you'll need VBA.

It's a dumb report, btw, because you'll end up with a sparse matrix (lots of empty cells) since different staff will be assigned to different tasks. 15 staff means 15 columns and it won't be easy to see which tasks that person is on when the task names are 15 columns back to the left. Equally, once you have a task you have to trace up to the top to see who's actually working on the task.

If you want *really* close (and it's a better report because there aren't so many empty cells) then

Click on Tools | Options | View-tab.
Clear any check marks in "Show summary tasks" and "indent name"
Click on OK
Click on View | Task Usage

You get everything your boss wants plus it shows the date(s) (depending on how you set up the Timescale on the righthand side) when the tasks are performed.

Now play with the display.

RightMouse button on the righthand grid and select different fields to display (Work, Actual Work, etc.)

RightMouse button on the righthand grid and click on "Detail styles" to choose colours and fonts.

My current machine has P98. With P2000 you can group by resource name and get some other interesting reports but I can't test those out right now.

Thanks for your assistance, I'll give this a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back