Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Report columns changes the order on exporting!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kala1234

Programmer
Feb 13, 2003
IN
Hi,

I have to export a report having 44 columns. After exporting to Excel, the column order changes randomly.
Can anybody tell me is this because number of columns are too large??? Is it possible to fix it somehow???

Thanks in advance
kala

Which version of CR are you using? If you go to and search for cr85_exportlimitations.zip this documents the export limitations for CR8.5, according to this an export to Excel from a Multi-column report is not supported. Exports to Lotus 123 is supported and Excel can open these files. I haven't tested it but it might work. Reebo
Scotland (Raining)

I think you are talking two different columns. The no multi-column refers to column section in Crystal.. not to a "column of data".

When you say "randomly" do you mean that it swaps columns differently every time? even with the same data? If that is true.. then *boggle* i have no idea.

If it seems that columns right next to eact other swap.. this can be due to fields not aligning in the report correctly. For export to excel you really want to be using grid lines for both beginning, end, and one horizontal (I usually use font base but you can use any). Locking in all placements seems to help crystal with the export. If you have already done this.. I am not sure that I can offer any additional suggestions.

I don't have any reports with quite as many columns as you do, but I do have one with 32 that I have never noticed problems with.

Lisa

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry the order is not changing randomly.The behaviour is fixed. After the 17th column, all the other columns are getting added in the begining of the excel sheet....it is not pushing from the right....it will be something like 18th column is the first one and 19th colum second..and goes on like that...

Seems some thing wrong with the 17th colum that column is a string with size 250...Will that matter..???
By the time i'll try with the design change as Lisa mentioned......

Thanks again
kala

Again me..:-(

I tried placing the grid lines in place for each column(left,right,top & bottom)...Still showing the same behaviour..I can't get what is the fontbase you mentioned..in the reply...

One more thing to point out is i'm using a printer page width 60"X96"....Can anything related to this..??Or any printer related settings????

It would be a great help if anybody can give pointers on this..

Thanks again
Kala

In Crystal 8.5 and Windows NT, you have an option as to which Crystal section you use. It normally defaults to the page header.

On my machine, you can also choose which version of Excel, and whether the 'extended' version should be used.

Vary any other options you have, till the problem vanishes. If it remains incurable, think about using Acrobat/PDF, where the reader software is a free download. Madawc Williams
East Anglia
Great Britain

The problem is there..
we can export it only to Excel...
In the crystal exchange server that we are using only lists Excel...not too extended...
The report tht i'm talking about won't even come properly in extended....I have seen it working properly in acrobat & DHTML...

The problem is still not resolved...
Kala

As a test, if you were to delete the 250 char column, does it work correctly?

Does this column always end up last?
Is this a memo field?
Is the "Can Grow" Property set (I would shut it off)?
Do you need all 250 chars of this column, or can you trim it down using a formula? Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Expert's Guide to Formulas / Guide to Crystal in VB
- tek@kenhamady.com

The answers for your questions are:

> As a test, if you were to delete the 250 char column,
does it work correctly?
#even i delete that column it shows the behaviour from
the 2nd column after that.All the comming columns are
also too huge, string(124).
> Does this column always end up last?
# No, it is the 17th among the 44 columns.

> Is this a memo field?
# No, it is a string(250).

> Is the "Can Grow" Property set (I would shut it off)?
# I tried with both....works same way :-(.

> Do you need all 250 chars of this column, or can you trim it down using a formula?
# Tried doing that it works for that and one more column after that.Again we have 8 columns which are strings of size 124...With that again shows the same behaviour...Tried trimming all of them..but with the first two itself it started showing the same behaviour...

Can't figure it out...
any hints..???

Thanks in advance
Kala

Do you have column headings over these columns or a title?
Sometimes things over the column will throw off what is in the column. I would also download of the problem list for the latest export drivers to see if that issue is mentioned. You might need to apply a patch or SP1. Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
- tek@kenhamady.com

I don't know what is the difference between the title & column heading...Actually what i have done is i just done drag and drop of the database field that i'm getting out of my reference cursor....Then automatically one heading comes with the an underline....

Are every one of these sized the exact same as the field below them? Are there any other objects above the details band? Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
- tek@kenhamady.com

This might be a bit tedious to do, but not so bad since you have already added the guidlines. I just made a 56 column report as a test.. with assorted sized text fields (my largest is 124 so I hope that is good enough). I made them all skinny enough to fit side by side on regular letter. When I export to excel, they get big (show the whole field), and all appear to be in order (I had to use a number of the columns a couple of times, but they *look* like they maintained order). Oh, if you want to test the enterprise export in design mode, choose excel 5 as your export mode. That is the format that enterprise uses. I think this is going to be one of those frustrating "jiggle the box until it works" problems. Just keep trying different things.
Lisa

Ya...i had given the same size for both the column header and the data field in the details section.And in the page header on top of the column headers i have the report name(left) and Printdate(right)...But i tried without giving that...It was showing the same behaviour...

Kala

Try suppressing all sections except the details and the page header, and take out our suppress all objects in the page header except the column headings. Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports
dgilsdorf@trianglepartners.com

Hi,

I cannot suppress the other contents in the page header..But i tried even that...That had no effect on exporting....The columns changes the order..

And one more thing that i noticed was all the small reports are getting exported to Excel5.0/7.0/8.0(Extended) properly..(I'm not talking about the huge one that i mentioned earlier..That shows the same behaviour everytime with all the Excel which Crystal Supports...).But the entire data is getting shuffled between the fields when u export to Excel5.0/7.0/8.0..

Thanks
Kala

Hi lyanch,
It would have been great if you can send me that sample rpt, which u have created with 56 columns, so that i can look at it and figure out what is wrong with my design...
You can mail me at sreekalar@aztec.soft.net

Thanks in Advance
Sreekala

I could see similar behaviour when exported a report(i had no rpt-file, all is created run-time).Solution in my case: resize all columns to place all of them in one page before running a report, then export( i exported after preview). If part of columns is outside of the page, order of columns will be random.
Check, are there subreports? their columns should be resized, too. Good luck!

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion. We are able to fix this issue by using Excel (Data Only) option, and we are directly exporting it to Excel without viewing in the viewer.

Regds
Kala

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back