Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

report became slow...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fursten

Programmer
Dec 27, 2000
PT
Hi,

I ´m using version 8.0 of Crystal (OCX). My report is based on a stored procedure. Everything works fine... but when I change something inside the stored procedure my report becames very slow... I´t seems to be a bug (another one)... Any ideias in how to solve this? I don´t want to make the same report again, just because I change a little my stored procedure...

Thank you,

Sergio Oliveira

First, verify the report.
Secondly, how complicated is the stored procedure? Adding a extra group to a stored procedure can sometimes slow it down considerably, as can too many JOINs or UNION clauses. If all you changed was a WHERE statement, however, the change should be almost irrelevant to the report's speed.

Hi,

I didn´t change almost anything... I only add one more column to the select clause and take of another.

It seems that , after I make a report based on a stored procedure, I can´t change anything in that stored procedure after! If I change it will probably became slow or it will not work.

I´m certainly that it is a bug. Crystal reports never were very good with their "set location" stuff.

Regards,

Sergio Oliveira

Did you try verifying the report like mwardle there recommended? Under the Database pulldown, click on Verify Database. I was having trouble with a view that I'd added a few new columns on. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why the new fields wouldn't show up when I refreshed the report. I ended up re-writing the danged thing before finding out it was as simple as verifying the database. It just goes through and checks for changes. Best of luck.

Hi,

Yes I did it. The new field became available to me, without any problem! Everything works fine. If I run the report alone, it works fine.

However, when I call it from visual basic (crystal OCX) it becames to much slow. If I go and delete that field from the stored procedure and If I sel location again, it will became fine again!

I´m using Crystal Ocx, version 8.0.0.393 (built in).

I have sure this is a bug from Crystal, because I know how to work with crystal.

By the way, sometimes after the change, if I "set location" it happens sometimes that the report don´t work anymore... it depends on how I make the "Set location" (For instances if I made set location, and then verify database... I will be asked to enter the parameters fields... If I put any values for them... I will never be able to use the report again!..)

Sergio Oliveira

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back