Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reply-To address?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronjonmartin

Technical User
Jul 9, 2002
GB
Hi guys wonder if you could shed some light on this for me. Previously i have used outlook with pop3, and i was able to set a reply-to address which when the person recieving my email got and they hit reply it would be sent to the address i had set in the reply-to.

Now I am using Exchange 2000 and Outlook 2003 and i was wondering if there was a way i could do this? I cant seem to find the option in outlook.

I just want to set a different reply-to address than the address im actually sending the mail from.

Hope it all makes sense.

Thanks for any help in advance

"It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about the problem."
Malcolm Forbes (1919 - 1990)

Two ways to accomplish this. If the reply to address is on the same domain as your primary you can accomplish this from the ADUC on the exchange server, user properties for the individual user. If its an external emaill addy, then you can accomplish this in Outlook. When you creat a new message, there is an option icon that will allow you to enter a manual reply-to-address.

Frank

An Exchange server will ALWAYS sent out mail with the default SMTP address If you don't want this address, you either choose another default (or create one), or, you create a seperate mailbox with a different address.

Frank's second option is also usable, but it needs selecting the Options every time.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Cheers for the advice guys, I actually found an alternative solution to my problem which doesnt require what i originally posted but i appreciate the advice in any case.

"It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about the problem."
Malcolm Forbes (1919 - 1990)

It would be good practice to share that solution with others on this site.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

If the e-mail is in the same domain, go to the Exchange Server/AD Users and Computers. Right-click the user, Exchange Adavanced, Mailbox Rights, and add yourself to view/edit/delete/send to the user. Then, in your Outlook 2000/2003, click view FROM: field.

When composing e-mail(s), you should be able to then type in the other user's name and send the e-mail as that person.

NOTE: This solution, although works, has serious legal ramifications. Please consult a legal advisor before proceeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back