Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replication

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 25, 2000
US
Want to set up replication on a MSSQL 7 db. Need to be able to sinc with field service engineers (on laptops) at least twice a day. What kind of replication would be best for this? Merge, snapshot, ect...

Will the people in the field be making changes to the same data that is on the main server? Will the field people need to get the changes made by other field people? How will they be connecting?

Robert Bradley

You probably want to use merge replication with pull subscriptions.

But, that's a guess since I don't know any details that Robert is trying to draw out from you. Robert is right in asking these questions.

One of the main questions I have is: is the data that the engineers are working on mutually exclusive (partitioned) from the other engineers or can they share and modify the same data?

I recommend that you read books-online to discover the various replication options and capabilities...

Thanks,

Tom

The engineers work alone and do not modify each other's work. Hence, it will be mutally exclusive (partitioned). However, they will need access to the information posted by other engineers for logistic purposes, which needs to be distributed on a daily basis. Hope this is enough? Thanks for the responses!

Does the information that the other engineers maintain need to reside on the local database of the engineer that's reading their data, or can this type of data be accessed exclusively on the central server?

Tom

It can reside on the local machine (laptop) computer as long as it is in sync with the main server.

I am very interested in this thread since I need to do the same things on the application I am designing. My clients are laptops running an Access 2000 adp using MSDE as the local server. The main database is Sql Server located on the network. I understand that I need a copy of Microsoft Office Developer for the client side. Will this be all the software I need to do subscriptions to the Sql Server publications?? I am setting up a test case using the pubs database. Any pointers or suggestions??

Thank you for any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back