Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

replication

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrysib

Programmer
Oct 21, 2007
RO
I had a problem whit first domain controller and I had to reinstal windows on it. the second domani controller remaind whit the old configuration. how can I do to link the second domain controller from first (new one) DC, because I whant to replicate second DC to first DC ?

You need to add the rebuilt server as an additional domain controller in your domain;

You should check that all the FSMO roles are in place on your existing domain controller, at a command prompt;

netdom query fsmo

they should all show as being held by your second DC. If they are reported as being on your first DC you will need to seize those roles onto your second DC.

Paul
MCTS: Exchange 2007, Configuration
MCSA:2003
MCSE:2003
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Scott Adams

first was a first DC and a second DC. the first DC was formatated.
there is a problem. it has to be a DC where Active directory is instaled as fist domani in the forest. if I do that i can not replicatethe 2-nd DC on the new first DC. can I turn second DC in first DC, and the formated one to be second DC ?
"adprep" helps me to do that?

OK, First thing is first. You need to cleanup the old DC out of AD...read here:

Also make sure your DNS is 100%, by verifying your environment with DCDIAG and NETDIAG

The second DC you had when you formatted the other one, I am assuming seized all FSMO roles? So that DC2 has all AD FSMO roles located on it and is a Global Catalog.
Read here on seizing FSMO:

Then once all of this is done and you have verified your environment once again with DCDIAG and NETDIAG...you can then move on to adding another DC.

This is where the newly formatted server you state you have comes in.
Important note: This new DC should not retaing the old DC
name.

Now you may proceed with promoting your new DC to become #2 in your domain. Once this is complete you should contemplate moving a couple of FSMO roles to it. If you have a single domain, then do not worry about the Infrastructure Master, but moving RID Master and PDC Emulator roles to it may be a choice on your part.

Let me know if I am not heading you down the right path.

on the first dc, the formated one I have:

schema owner server-ad.domeniu.local
domain role owner server-ad.domeniu.local
PDC role server-ad.domeniu.local
RID pool manager server-ad.domeniu.local
infrastructure owner server-ad.domeniu.local

on the second dc, the old one I have:
schema owner server-ad2.domeniu.local
domain role owner server-ad2.domeniu.local
PDC role server-ad2.domeniu.local
RID pool manager s server-ad2.domeniu.local
infrastructure owner server-ad2.domeniu.local

I did not clear meta data. if supose I clear it, what should do next? if I clear metata data I do not risc to lose the users, gpo, computers ... ?

There is no way for both DC's to hold all of the roles...this information does not seem accurate.

run the netdom query fsmo
as pagy states above to get a more accurate view.

not to be dumb or nothing. the domain controller is the dmz? protects the network from attacks and manages resources?

beaner2005...what? a DMZ is a segment between your LAN and the Public WAN to protect your LAN. Domain Controller is a part of Active Directory and has nothing to do with DMZ's and is always located within your protected LAN.

I tried to install first server like an aditional dc and it tells me that i do not have rights to create NTDS settings, but I am an enterprize admin. the second DC does not let me to create a GPO because it does not see the domain controller. there is a script that help me to export data: users, passwords, computers and imported them into a new server?

remove the new formatted server from your network. Remove from domain and everything. Then on the primary DC you have left DC2...verify your domain is working properly with DCDIAG and NETDIAG...If everything is working...then you may proceed to totally rebuild the server that we just removed.

Reinstall Windows 2003 from scratch. Static IP, and give the server a totally new name. The name cannot remain the same as the old DC1. make sure the OS is patched to the same level as DC2.

Then try to run DCPROMO on that new server.

if I give the server a new name,the computers from domain will recognize it ?

unless you had file share mappings to it. Then you can use a CNAME to fix that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back