Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replication 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SQLServer

Programmer
May 30, 2000
US
I am trying to start Replication Wizard on a SQL Server 7.0.<br>and I am getting the&nbsp;&nbsp;following error<br>&quot;SQL Server Enterprise Manager could not complete the wizard because @@servername for '' is NULL.<br>Use sp_addServer to set @@serverName&quot;<br><br>Any ideas about why this error is showing up?<br>Thanks in Advance<br>-GJK

If you do a <FONT FACE=monospace>SELECT @@SERVERNAME</font> you should get the name of your server. This should have been set by the install....give it a quick check.<br><br>It is probably just complaining that it doesn't know the server that you are replicating to. You have to register it on your server with<br><FONT FACE=monospace>sp_addserver @server=&quot;theServer&quot;</font> <br><br>BOL says &quot;Server names must be unique and follow the rules for Microsoft Windows NT® computer names, although spaces are not allowed. &quot; <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= home</a><br>

Thanks for yr response. You are right. I did a SELECT @SERVERNAME and getting NULL as the answer. <br>This is my scenario. I have CDB_Prodn as a Publisher and CDB_Sub as a suscriber. In CDB_Prodn, I run sp_ADDSERVR 'CDB_Prodn' and got the result

For some reason. my previous msg is showing only half of it.<br>Here is the full version.<br>Thanks for yr response. You are right. I did a SELECT @SERVERNAME and getting NULL as the answer. <br>This is my scenario. I have CDB_Prodn as a Publisher and CDB_Sub as a suscriber. In CDB_Prodn, I run sp_ADDSERVR 'CDB_Prodn' and got the result&nbsp;&nbsp;I server added. But when I did a Select @@SERVERNAME&nbsp;&nbsp;I am getting the same NUll. Under Enterprise manger of CDB_Prodn, I have CDB_Prodn and repl_distributor listed under security--&gt; Remote servers. I appreciate your help<br><br>Thanks<br>-GJK

Out of curiousity, what OS are you running this on?&nbsp;&nbsp;WinNT?&nbsp;&nbsp;95?<br><br>If NT or Win95, under Control Panel/Network's Identification page, does it show something for the <i>Computer Name</i>? <p>Robert Bradley<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= - Visual FoxPro Development</a><br>

Yes. computer name is BPNYDB1.<br>Here is my latest research results with some clues to the problem. But still have the problem and no clue as to how to resolve this. Hop you could help me. <br>Found one more clue that may be causing the problem. I queried sysservers of&nbsp;&nbsp;two other servers that is running fine and compared the results against the results&nbsp;&nbsp;from the server that is giving the problem. Here are the results with some of the columns with noticeable data in it<br><br><br> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;srvid&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;srvstatus&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;srvname&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;datasource &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;srvnetname<br>Result from the problem server:&nbsp;&nbsp;1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;577&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;repl_distributor&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;BPNYDB1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;BPNYDB1<br><br>Result from the good server 1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;0&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 65&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;NYNDB2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;NYNDB2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;NYNDB2 <br><br>Result from the good server 2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;0&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;65&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;OYNDB2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;OYNDB3 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;OYNDB3&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br><br><br>If we look at the above results, values of srvname, datasource and srvnetname are same in both good servers. But srvname differs in the bad server.<br>Also both good server s has a srvstatus of 65 and but the srvstatus of the bad server is 577.&nbsp;&nbsp;I do not know what these numbers mean.<br><br>I tried to update sysserver values of the bad server but got an error saying something in tune of &quot;adhoc modification of the catalog are not permitted&quot; <br>Then I gave all the update/insert permission to sysserver and tried to modify the value once again. But no luck. <br><br>I tried to delete the remote server entry, repl_distributor, from the Enterprise Manager. But getting an error saying&nbsp;&nbsp;&quot;Error 15190. There are still remote logins for the server 'repl_distributor'.&nbsp;&nbsp;I ran sp_helpremotelogin and sp_dropremotelogin&nbsp;&nbsp;. But returned No results.&nbsp;&nbsp;How can I delete this remote server entry?<br>Could you pls help me.&nbsp;&nbsp;Thank you in advance.

Found this message twice... pasting my response in both.<br><br>This has happened to me before as well.&nbsp;&nbsp;Usually when the computer name has changed after SQL was installed.&nbsp;&nbsp;Microsoft suggests that you reapply the installation of SQL 7 in order to resolve this problem but that hasn't always worked for me.&nbsp;&nbsp;Instead, I have found that I need to go directly into the sysservers table of the master database and edit the database id.&nbsp;&nbsp;The local server name should have a srvid of 0.&nbsp;&nbsp;I don't usually make it a practice to edit system tables but in this particular situation I have found no other option.<br>Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back