Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

replication problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazar60

Technical User
Jun 3, 2005
EG
I have single domain 2003 active directory with 3 sites.
DCsite1: must have all user accounts for the domian.
DCsite2 : must have some of that accounts.
DCsite3: must have the rest of the accounts.

so i need one way replication (replicate to) for site 2 and 3.
and one way repliction (replicate from) for site 1.

by default i found that two way replication is enabled, i disabled that by ldp.exe from support tools but the same.
when i create user in site1 it replicates to site 2 and 3.

i want to create users in site 2 and replicated in site 1 only, and so in site 3.
any help

Thanks
gazar

this is simply not possible.

users are domain objects.

if in DCsites 1+2+3 you have a DC, then they will replicate all the domain info.
You shouldn't want to try to limit object replication to this extent, it is neither necessary nor of any use.

If you are worried about bandwidth between sites and can handle non-instant replication, change replication schedules for after hours only...

and be careful what you try disabling.. AD is supposed to funtion in this way, you may end up simply breaking the whole deal.

if you NEED to have accounts per site like you mention, then you need a different domain per site.
Why do you need to do this?
(curious, and your answer could help us give you better advice...)

Aftertaf
________
Regain control of your PC, at If you break your hard drive, it'll be DPlank's fault

i want to do this coz, site1 will have exchange front end server, and every site will have exchange back end one.
also the two sites are working separtley now each with his own domain.
i will migrate all to single forest single tree, so all the org will work under a new single domain.

thanks
Gazar

thanx i found the tool, it's from support tool repadmin.exe

Thanks again.
gazar

gazar...
seriously, what you are trying to do is not possible, at least not normally...
and if you try you'll have one of two situations:

1. It isn't possible

2. You're going to seriously break something.

please read some more on AD and realise what you can and cant do with it...

Aftertaf
________
Regain control of your PC, at If you break your hard drive, it'll be DPlank's fault

Sounds like you need 3 domains all in the same tree...

Gazar,

Sounds to me like you are upgrading from 3 different domains using NT4 (or Windows 2000 and Migrating to 2003 with a single forest)?

Whichever is your case I suspect what you need to do is take advantage of Active Directory by using OU's (Organizational Units).

OU's can be very powerful under a single domain and can function similarly to using sperate accounts in seperate domains.

I think I'm struggling with trying to understand your needs due to exchange?

Thanks!

Darryl Brambilla
IT Manager

thanx electro,
by making OU's i have to delegate administration to some ppl for the OU's, to which groups should i add those ppl in order to have Full access to thier OU's and have no access to the other groups.

Thanks gazar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back