Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replication Best Practices

Status
Not open for further replies.

krets

Technical User
Dec 29, 2006
US
I'm learning Access on the fly and I've been looking into replicating a database for use between three sites. I've found a few articles that cover the basics of how to replicate a database but what I am looking for is something that covers not the how-to but the should.

Does anyone have any links to some good reads on the best ways to go about replicating and using a replicated database?

I have never used Access replication but from what I have read about how it resolves data conflicts it scared me into swearing to not use it. I do not have any links for you. My best reading comes from the Access Developer's Handbook published by SYBEX.

You may want to consider writing your own replication functions or using another database product better suited for the task like SQL Server. It at least does not corrupt as easy. You may even get lucky enough and be able to do it with SQL express... I doubt it is supported without the full blown product but I never researched it.

I have used replication. I found the main problem was with distant users; you will need to control copies very carefully. Replication works best when each replica is devoted to a separate area. Be very careful when making any changes to coding; make sure you call in all copies and synchronize first. Replica masters can be easily 'broken'; do not move them around. Once you replicate, it is very difficult to change your mind; keep your pre-replication back-up carefully.

I found replication less than satisfactory and ended up using a small web-site.

Do NOT use replication. It is a nightmare. The reason there are very few articles on replication is because few use it. My experiences with it were a nightmare. And i beleive that would be simimar to others who have used replication.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back