Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replicating data from one location to another 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhanus

Programmer
Jun 17, 2003
MY
Hi Folks

I have my application deployed at headquarters and 5 different branches. I need to send changes in data i.e. edited/new records back to headquarters.

If anyone has a similar project, can you please share your methodology?

At the moment, my plan is to disallow editing of records and only send new records (using flags as controls) to headquarters.
The files are exported/imported via text files.
Some processing is done at headquarters and changes are sent back to the branches.

I have a customer who wanted a very similar thing.

One site in the south of the Uk and another in the north. Linked together with a 500k pipe.

Looked at replication and sycronization.

Very messy and a real pig to look after.

Solution I went for was to use Microsft Server 2000 Terminal Services option. This works a treat and so far they are all running the same database backend at the same time with no problems. This of course requires a connection between the offices ( ie. a broadband pipe is best.)

It also has the advantage that remote user (sales guys who are off site) can dial in and look edit data as well. Very handy.

Hope this helps

Peachmelba

Dear PeachMelba

We didn't go with Access' replication and sycronization coz we share the same opinion as yourself.

Thank-you for your idea but it won't work for us as the branches are at small towns where broadband is not available. The servers at all the locations run on Linux. Will keep your idea in mind for future projects though.

We've managed to create an in-house system of keeping replicas updated across different locations via email attachments.

We have a small network (6 workstations, 1 dedicated server) with all users connected to an Access DB backend, with off-site contractors connected to replicated backends.

The access file sent via email is reduced is size by using a few tricks including partial replicationand creation of .zip attchments. The data is sent from within the Access frontend application (something like File>Send Data...Choose recipient form).

Synchronization occurs from a replicated macro within the DB sent, an Outlook macro or manually.

It all works very well, with the obvious downside being timelags between sending/recieve data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back