Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

replicate certain shares between servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

sigmab

IS-IT--Management
Jul 24, 2001
US
Is there a way to replicate only certain shares between servers? in other words is there a way to specify what folders replicate instead of replicating the entire server to another? thanks.

File shares? One way wold be to use DFS. Which would take care of replication and redundancy.
Otherwise a simple scheduled script would also take care of the job.

Saugilsr I'm sorry if I was a bit vague. What I am trying to do is find a way to replicate for example the actual user shares that are manually setup for each user on a server to another server. Instead of having to recreate each user share manually on the other server.Thanks.

Good solution from Saugilsr which should work for your case. Am not sure how your User Shares are setup. If it is setup that only they have access to it (ie even administrator cannot view inside their folders without taking ownership), you will have to include the /B switch in robocopy to copy across the data in backup mode.

Claudius (What certifications??)

Thanks for the info guys. One question if I was to use permcopy would the set of user shares (created manually through computer management) on one server automatically be created and permissioned on the second server? I want to avoid manually creating 100 user shares through computer manager on the second server. Was onclear on this through the documentation. Thank guys.

Yes. Your going to have to write a script to do it. If you use share.vbs.. (assuming the folder == username) once you have the files copied.. psuedocode:

for %i in folders
cscript share.vbs /c /n %1 /s newserver /p c:\shares\%1 /t disk
permcopy \\oldserver1 %i \\newserver %i

Something like that.
Instead of share.vbs you can use rmtshare another command line util that does the same thing..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back