Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing w2k with new w2003 servers? Need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe75

MIS
Jul 11, 2004
AU

I'm currently running a Windows 2000 server environment: two domains (parent/child) with four servers. 4 new boxes have been purchased to replace the older 2000 servers.

How should I go about migration the AD to Windows 2003?

The new servers come Server 2003 and is already member of the domain.

My current plan is to upgrade the original PDC/Domain Master of each domain to Windows 2003 and dcpromo the new servers. Or should I just dcpromo the new box.

Thank you
Joe

Run W2003 forestprep to prepare domain for W2003.

Dcpromo your W2003 boxes then transfer the FSMO roles to the new servers.

Finally dcpromo your W2K boxes to downgrade to member servers and change mode to W2003 native.

Thanks ntinlin. What's the benefit of switching to W2003 native?

Also I've a small operating window, anything else I should look out for?

Most of the new features of 2003 (improved AD replication, linked value replication, Kerberos forest trusts) require the forest to be at 2003 functional level

Similarly, putting the domain at 2003 level gives you the full functionality of 2003. Most of the features you get are the same as 2000 native (like universal groups, group nesting, SID history), but you do get a couple of things with the 2003 domain level like domain rename.

Notice that the domain and forest have separate functional levels. See the following page for more information about functional levels:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back