Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing Videocard in compaq pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9910283

Technical User
Dec 27, 2002
BE
When I replace the (broken) Matrox G2+ AGP card by a new ATI Radeon 7000 64 MB AGP card my compaq Deskpro doesn't reboot.
When I change the (broken) Matrox G2+ AGP card by a working Matrox G2+ AGP card (I have 2 deskpro's) it works without any problems.
How can I solve this problem

thx a lot

geert

With so little system information it's hard to reply with anything but random guess's
Is your Compaq's AGP socket AGP1 or 2 because your Radeon will be the newer standard (differant socket voltage)
Did you remove the Matrox drivers before you installed the new card?
Did you try to reset the Cmos "clear"
Is first display device set to AGP?
AGP set to 4X ?
Have you installed the latest motherboard chipset, DirectX and video card drivers?
If the motherboard has onboard VGA (built into the chipset, is it disabled in the bios?
Read your motherboard and graphics card manuals to see if they are compatible.
More info needed!! Martin Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

Does the computer have onboard video?
What model Compaq Deskpro is it?

It is a Compaq EP deskpro P3 450

When I changed the videocard by the ATI the PC didn't restart at all. He gives a few beeps (hardware videocard error)

There was a Matrox AGP G2+ card (AGP 2X standard) in it
The ATI radeon 7000 is 2x and 4x compatible
So I guess that they are compatible

I have NO onboard videocard
I didn't clear the Matrox drivers.

I didn't clear the CMOS at this time. but I think it will be necessary

Didn't take the time (or have it) to research further your predicament, but it may well hinge on voltage needed by the newer card...which would keep it from booting.
Newer cards usually require 3.3 volts...older ones less. It will, of course, depend on your motherboard/PSU and whether the necessary voltage is supplied to assess compatibility.

Hi

Did you solve the problem , I am facing the same
issue now.

erezye; contact compaq email support and they will respond with an answer within one hour. They have always helped me.

erezye, see the response in your other post thread749-482634

I had to flash my bios with a rompaq of compaq but not all the rompaq's are available, the best thing you can do is sending a mail to compaq. The give you then the correct bios update

Actually, you should try leaving the old card in with the new, reboot, and when the new card is detected install,(device mgr), refresh, and disable the old card. Then, shutdown, out w/ the old, in w/ the new.

Ok,

If that is the case your computer is not supporting the AGP version. You have different versions of AGP 1, 2, 4, 6 and 8. Your computer probably doesn't support the card which you have. I would have a good look at your machines specs to find that out. You can find out which type of AGP you have from the side of the box of the card you bought.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back