Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing the primary DC ? DHCP and DNS ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kakakaka77

Technical User
Jul 14, 2010
US
I have two DCs running now, and the primary DC (NAME: DC1)is pretty old and we are going to replace it. (DC2 is pretty old too.)
DC1 is also DHCP and DNS server. we want to replace it with a more powerful server, and try to transfer everything on this DC1 to the new DC3.

DC1 : 192.168.0.1
DC3 : 192.168.0.8

So, what should be the steps for us to do that?
we already installed DC3 (server 2003 r2), joined the existing domain, dcpromo.
How to transfer DHCP and DNS service to the new DC?

Thank you !!

Sorry this post is late, but I figured I'd answer anyway, just in case.

1. Install DNS on DC3 and configure it for your domain. Configure Zone Transfers on the other DNS servers to allow them to transfer the zone(s) to the new server. This shouldn't take long to transfer.

2. For DHCP, see Once those steps are complete, you'll want to modify the DNS Server option in the DHCP scope to account for the new DNS server.

Also, if DC1 holds the FSMO roles for the domain, you'll want to transfer them to the new DC before decommissioning it. See
Once you're ready to decommission the server (after the FSMO roles were transferred), run dcpromo again on DC1 and demote the server.

---------------------------------------
Bob Beck
Systems Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back