Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

replacing system file in Win XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanpmi

Technical User
Feb 6, 2002
US
I need to replace Win XP's version of OLEAUT32.dll with the earlier version to correct an IE 6.0 script / new window error. The problem is that Win XP doesn't allow me to replace it and since my hard drive is NTFS and the command window won't let me replace it, I am at a loss as to how to go about replacing it. Please help.

Have you looked at using Recovery Console.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP (Q307654)

Perhaps you could check an earlier thread about disabling (temporarily) Windows File Protection and then see if you can switch them.

thread779-204168

XP will nt work with any earlier version.. upgrade IE not XP.
Beta tester Frank Smith
s0121@starband.net
"SomeWhere in Kansas--"Near Dodge City"

Frank... obviously you haven't read the thread dealing with IE6.0 not being able to open another window. Of course Win XP will work with an earlier version of OLEAUT32.dll. As for upgrading IE, what do I upgrade to? I stated I am using IE6.0... if there's a new version that's news to me.

Linney... good advice, but recovery console didn't work for me. Yes, perhaps I should look into temporarily disabling system file protection and attempting to replace the file, but there must be a quick and simple way. If not, that's my only alternative. Thanks :)

which version of IE are u using IE6.xxx, i upgraded to IE6.2600.xx and now upgraded to IE6.2813.xpclient.010817-1148. sorry i missed the other thread.... Frank Smith
s0121@starband.net
"SomeWhere in Kansas--"Near Dodge City"

Frank ... I have IE 6.0.2600 and have been checking for an upgrade, but when I last looked a few days ago, I didn't find any updates. Can you give me the web address where I can get 6.0.2813? Maybe that upgrade will finally solve my problem.

ok people. there's an easy way to do this!

reboot your machine to safe mode with command prompt (after the machine's bios post, bash F8 till the menu appears)..

from here you can replace whatever you want however you want. if it messes the machine up, just throw in the XP cd, and use the recovery feature to replace the file back to what it was.

no problem!

good luck

andy Andrew Shepherd
AWMS IT Services
Tektips related emails to - tektips@awmsnet.com

Awms... went to safe mode but Win XP does NOT allow system files in use to be copied over... still looking for a fix

Did you try rjkrash's suggestion of using "Inuse". How'd that go.

If your still desperate these two possibilities were fished off the net. The names of the files in question will have to be changed to "OLEAUT32.dll" I have just copied and pasted the articles. Again I repeat only if desperate. I don't have any experience with either suggestion and just post for your consideration.

Number 1.

Locate the filelist.xml file in the WINDOWS\system32\Restore folder and
back up a copy of it. Open this file in Notepad and look in this
section:

<Exclude>
<REC>%windir%\system.ini</REC>
<REC>%windir%\tasks\desktop.ini</REC>
<REC>%windir%\win.ini</REC>
<REC>*:\AUTOEXEC.BAT</REC>
<REC>*:\CONFIG.MSI</REC>
<REC>*:\CONFIG.SYS</REC>
</Exclude>

You may be able to add <REC>%windir%\notepad.exe</REC> to the list of
Excluded files. I have not tried this, so cannot verify that it will
work. Use this method at your own risk.
--
Doug Knox, Microsoft MVP MPS-D
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
sys file copy

Number 2.

I know of a way to get aroud System File Protection. (Please don't do these
steps as you read this message, but rather memorize them because the last
steps need to be done quick! VERY QUICK! or XP will replace the file and it
won't work)

Here are the steps. (MAKE SURE YOU DON'T HAVE THE WINXP CD-ROM IN THE CD-ROM
DRIVE!)

1. Copy the &quot;better&quot; Notepad.exe to the clipboard.
(IF XP-CD ON HARD DRIVE) Rename the NOTEPAD.EX_ file on your WinXP CD-ROM
image on your hard drive, if you have the XP CD on your hard drive.
2. Go to C:\WINDOWS\System32\dllcache.
3. Paste the file there.
4. QUICKLY! Go back to C:\WINDOWS (using Backspace) and paste the file
there.

If you have done this correctly, a message should pop up saying that a bad
version of a Windows System file has been installed. Make sure you select
'Keep this file' or a similar option.

If it doesn't work, keep trying, because it will. Just do the two pastes
very fast.

Good luck :)
............................................................And good luck from me. PS post the answer when you finally work it out.

The INUSE program did not work even in safe mode

I'm not an expert. But maybe you could find where windows keeps the backup copy of the DLL and replace that file. Then just somehow corrupt the current DLL. Still trying to find the backup files, they're probably .cab's (out of ideas if they're .cab's)

Win XP won't allow copying or replacing system files, so I can't replace it at all...not even in safe mode and using inuse.exe. MS acknowledges the problem of IE 6.0 and says in the next release it will be fixed. They sure are taking their sweet time. I downloaded the 6.0.2813 beta version of IE from but the beta version is no better...same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back