Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing Read/Write heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJ39

Technical User
Apr 5, 2007
US
I have a dead Western Digital 120GB (WD1200JD-00FUA0) drive. Software recovery is a no-go, and the data is valuable but not worth $1,000 plus. I am ready for a DIY hardware repair. I found an identical drive on Ebay for $26, it is being shipped to me. I will replace the controller board first, but if that doesn't work, I will have to try to replace the read/write heads. Questions:

1) With the drive open, is it possible to jump power directly to the drive motor, spin up the drive to generate the air cushion, and then manually pull back the read/write arm to clear the platters? I don't have the proper combs, etc. to do this without scratching the platters.

2) Other than clean-room type precautions, any other tips / warnings?

Thanks.

Does the BIOS recognize the drive? If so I would try a different recovery program first. If not the controller swap might just work and usually isn't all that hard.
As for any further internal DIY work, most drives I have seen do not have the clearance to pull the arms back far enough to get the platters in or out with out hitting them. Also I am not sure if there is anything to deal with in aligning the arms or platters. (However most drives I have checked out internally were quite old.) And watch the handling of the platters. Fingerprints, touching/rubbing the surfaces or even flexing/stressing the platters could cause damage!
Best of luck with it! I would love to hear how it turns out! To play it totally safe, however, I would go into this with the assumption that if you have to open the drive it is not going to make it. So if you absolutely cannot live with the data loss please do not try it!!! If you can live with the loss why not try it? It could be fun and maybe even educational!
Or you could just try this:

Best of luck!

Some has tried it...

Just to add, a smoke particle can cause the heads to crash, though I have run IDE drives open, and they booted Windows 98

Once the drive is opened, count on needing a non residual, fast drying solvent to clean the platters, just before closing the drive case. 180 or 190 proof grain alcohol would be my choice, can't think of anything you could get at a hardware store which would be pure enough. Xylene would be rough on components

Some of drives I have opened have dust from the platters within the interior, so it may take a bit of cleaning.

I would attempt to make a mini clean room from a clear plastic bag or sheet plastic, wet cloth, not damp, on bottom to catch dust. Just before final platter cleaning, close up the "clean room" for an hour for dust to settle.

I would work with non coat surgical gloves during the final assembly. Surgical supply house.

Good luck, post back the results

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

If you have all ready opened the drive SORRY !

If Not, Stop Don't Do It.
If your BIOS Sees the drive try Spinrite from
if not, you need a clean room, i hope this not some ones data you are playing with if its your play away...

I have made a clean room in my bathroom with a hot shower to hold down the dust in the air and transplanted platers from one drive to another and one time out five it worked and i save the data to another drive before it died. Sounds dumb but it worked once.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back