Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing PSU on old chassis equip with a RAMBUS motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcarosSW

IS-IT--Management
Dec 28, 2007
SE
HI!
I’ am trying to replace the PSU on an old RAMBUS machine, unfortunately I was not as easy as I thought:p
The problem is that originally the chassis was equipped with a PSU marked Ver1.3 (which I don not fully understand the meaning of) which was equipped with a motherboard connecter named AUX in addition to the more standard connectors
Having problem to find any PSU with this connector in Sweden my thought was that it could not be to difficult to soldering the old AUX connector to an new PSU, however after checking the rest/more standard motherboard connector (20pinATX) I find that the old Ver1.3PSU also provides -5V something that Ver2.0/2.2 PSU’s is not.
Do anyone know how to find out what motherboard require this -5V supply? (is this maybe specific for the RAMBUS motherboards?)

Reg
Joakim

From what I can find, -5V was used for ISA slots on older motherboards. Since ISA has been phased out, newer power supplies don't bother supplying that voltage.

As Freestone has said, historically at that time PSU's were still being manufactured with this extra wire 'just in case' it found it's way into one of these older machines.
I'm pretty sure however, that your Intel 850 chipset equipt Rambus motherboard doesn't need it, infact I will go even further than this and say that it is very likely that a much more modern 20+4 ATX 2.03 PSU will fit and work as these are backward compatible (having more features and additional connections) rather than incompatible ones.
Something like an Antec Basiq.
Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

IcarosSW

You have been advised by the finest, I knew Martin would appear when he was most needed! Martin you have been missed.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Hi!
And thanks for the advise Martin/Tony!

Reg
Joakim

This is just a confirmation that the problem was resolved and by soldering the old contact (AUX) in parallel with the main ATX20pin Molex (maybe this wasn’t necessary, but as the Motherboard was designed this way).
And the missing -5 Volt (white cable in the ATX 20 pin Molex) was not en issue.

And by the way, the motherboard was the Intel D850GB with maximum of RAMBUS memories, (probably more expensive than a new PC:p)

Best regards for great support!!!!!!!!
Joakim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back