Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing Processor: Dell Dimension 8400

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechieTony

IS-IT--Management
Mar 21, 2008
US
Morning All,

I am replacing a processor in a Dell Dimension 8400, All the parts are original and in good shape. The processor I am replacing is a

3.2 GHz Pentium 4 processor HT

with a

Pentium Dual Core E2220 LGA775 2.40 GHz 800 FSB

Both are LGA775 and the physical replacement of the processor was the same ole business. But when I turn the pc on it does some interesting things. The PC will show no lights on the back of the unit... no diagnostic lights of any kind. The the fan kicks on and gets louder and louder as the time goes on. I cannot power the unit down unless the power is taken out...

Is there something im missing here....

The obvious thought is that the mobo does not support the processor. That model is 3-4 years old I believe - does it have dual core support? Looking on Dell website, there is a bios upgrade a couple of years old, one reason for which is newer processor support (though it doesn't say which processor on the page I looked at - more investigation may find that) - so if the old processor is still usable, could try upgrading the bios.

That's what I was thinking also. Problem is i figured this chip would probably be supported and I dont have a replacement. The chip it had before has cease to work as of the moment..... yay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back