Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing P4 CPU cooler 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
I have a customer with an LGA775 (Pentium 4 3.2 GHz with Hyperthreading) that has a bad fan. I was going to buy him a new CPU heatsink and fan rather than try to replace the fan. Does it normally require motherboard removal to put on a new CPU heatsink/fan combo or does it depend on the original and how it was attached and which replacement you buy?

I guess I've never done one on one of these processors - lots of AMDs and socket 478s though.

The stock intel cooler has push pins and is easy to replace
If you buy a after market cooler some of the lager ones have a back plate this means removing the motherboard

I got to second that what Aussie2 has said...

for the 775 socket, it is push pinned to the mobo, and replacing is easy as pie, turn the push pins and out pops the old one...

and replace it with a Zalman CNPS7500-Cu LED or Thermaltake (choose one without a backplate) would be advisable...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Indeed
Place a Flat blade screwdriver in the slot of one of the release pins, 45degree counter-clockwise on all four pins, give them a pull up, the heatsink should now be free.
Here is a cheap but improved cooler of stock.

Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

Thanks boys and girls. That's why I was confused - I saw some of the aftermarket coolers with back plates, but saw others without. So now I understand.

Well - the results are in. It was not a bad cpu fan. In fact, the computer had NO CPU fan at all. It used a 120mm fan that pulled air through the front of the case and via a duct, cooled the CPU.

The air intake, the fan, the duct and cpu heat sink had so much hair in them that it looked like a rat had gotten sucked in and shredded. Cat hair - unbelievable. Cleaned off cat hair - computer works again.

LOL... did you ever find that hairless rat?

sorry, could not resist...

that is the reason why I use a filter in front of the fans, when it comes to cleaning, I change filters only... I also do periodic cleaning, every 4 to 6 months...

as I do have a long haired angora type felis sylvanus running around the house, at times driving me nuts...

Ben

Not many computers have 120mm fans and let me tell you, they SUCK - literally. I would have replaced the fanless cpu cooler, but it would have required pulling the motherboard out because the fan in the system has the backplate design and all I had was a cpu cooler with the plastic tabs.

BadBigBen said:
as I do have a long haired angora type felis sylvanus running around the house, at times driving me nuts...

...and I have a long haired mutt (mix between a Chow and an Irish Shedder I think) that absolutely MUST come over for a visit whenever I've got a PC open on the floor. Open the case, get a dog...it never fails. I've moved major operations to the kitchen island to avoid her gift of hair.

I've not had much luck with filters as most of my cases are not sealed well but that is something I am looking for in a case from this point forward.

Tony

Users helping Users...

wahnula said:
Irish Shedder
... :)

my newest case is an A+ XBlade - Full Tower Case, great when you have "shedders"!!!... Wide open...

since it did not cost me anything, I decided to use it... and the filters where cheap, got them from a Home Depot store, the filters that one uses in the kitchen... :)

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back