Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing my domain controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkeduhsd

IS-IT--Management
Oct 4, 2002
US
I have a domain controller that is reaching the end of its life. The server was used to form the domain and is running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise with Exchange 2003 Enterprise. I would like to replace the server and have the new server take the name of the old one and take over all of the old server functions. Does anyone know of a way to do this? Thanks,

JK

only way to do exactly what you want would be to ghost... and you'll not have the same material so its no go i think.

i'd install a new server, run dcpromo,
get it as a DC,
then install exch and same again, get it to replicate...

once all services have been duplicated and the 2 are identical ... you can demote and decommission your old DC.

as for the name thing....

once the old one is down and out, add an alias to DNS & wins (if used), so that remaining references to the old DC on client PCs will be redirected to the new DC.

Aftertaf

"Solutions are not the answer." - Richard Nixon

Is it very important that the new domain controller is named exactly the same as the old one?

As I see it the process would be something like this:
1) Install the operating system (Windows 2003?) on the new soon-to-be domain controller and tune any settings you would like to tune on it.
2) DCPROMO it into your domain and move any services that might be running on the old domain controller to the new one.
3) I guess that you want to move your exchange environment as well. Then you also have to install exchange on your new domain controller (or alternatively on another member server). To not make it to complicated, you could put the new domain controller in the same administrative and routing groups that the old one was a part of (from the assumption that they both are located on the same subnett and stuff). Then you must at some point move your public folders and mailboxes to the recipient/public stores on the new server. You will need to check that different connectors and policies are with you as well ... but they should be.

You then need to change the configuration on the clients to point to the new exhcange server (this could be done throught group policies, but it depends on how your environment is set up).

Finally when everything is working, uninstall exchange on the old domain-controller, remove the services, and demote it to an ordinary member server. From there you can take it out of the system when you feel for it.

Remember, if you use DHCP, it will take some time before the pointers for the new services will be fully replicated out to your clients. Check the duration for your DHCP-lease to give you an idea of the time interval. Till then, you should run any service that you´ve moved on both servers, so they will be operational both for clients with old leases, and for clients that has renewed their leases.

The reason why I wanted to keep the same name was because of the client configuration for Exchange. Could DNS pointers make this work? Or should I just plan to visit the workstations? Realistically the server transition is the most important part, as long as that goes smoothly, I don't mind visiting the workstations.

Thanks,

JK

Exchange on the client side shouldn't be an issue. Once you move the mailboxs and the clients connect after the move the profile is updated automatically.

FRCP

Thank you everyone for you input. Hopefully the transition will go smoothly.

JK

JK,

How did it go? I'm getting ready to do this as well.
Did you run into any issues I should be aware of?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back