Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing MSVCRT.DLL

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmithyJD

IS-IT--Management
Sep 23, 2004
GB
I have a probelm with the version of MSVCRT.DLL on a windows 2000 machine and need to replace it with an alternative however I cant rename and copy in the correct version as its always in use by windows anyone any ideas?

Do I remember windows 2K having autoexect.bat could I put the code in there or am I dreaming its been years since I worked windows 2k.

Thanks in hope

JD

Can you use the Recovery Console to get out of the Windows environment and then do your deleting and substituting of the file?

How To Use Recovery Console on a Computer That Does Not Start in Windows 2000

Description of the Windows 2000 Recovery Console

If a specific program wants a specific version of MSVCRT.DLL you might get away with putting it in the actual program's Program Files folder.

Thanks for that was about to start booting with unix boot disks and going form there.

Having said that I have replace the dll now with one from a different machine which runs the application fine however I still get the same problem when I start the application. Application vendor says its a windoes problem PC team say application dont you just love it!

Have you done a search for the dll and checked if more than one of them is present?
If so where are they and if one is in the directory of that program try copying the one from system32 to that directory.

This is the visual studio C++ Runtime library.

There are several versions, several more recent than should be on Windows 2000.

To be precise, many windows executables/dllscompiled and linked with the Microsoft development tools since 2008 are not backwardly compatible with Win2k.

To be safe, service pack 4 may need to be rolled back and reinstalled, and then the rollup reapplied. Fortunately the windows 2000 updates download site is still available, and works well with Internet Explorer 6. Most of the updates are small compared to recent OS updates, but you install one set then there are interminable rounds of patches before you are finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back