Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Replacing Merlin Messaging 3.0 with R4 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivtrook

Technical User
Jun 28, 2006
US
As far as backing up and restoring the configuration, what is involved? I've backed up the config. and tried restoring it on a Messaging r4 and it said restore complete, all was left was an automatic reboot in which then the card became stuck in the boot process..

Sorry to say, but you can't load the Translations from the R3 to the R4.

However, if you have a late enough MAGIX, you can get the Magix and the Messaging to do most of the programming for you.
(At least on the MAILBOX side of things)

What release of Magix do you have?

It looks like an R3.

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.

My bad. I mis-read the title of the topic. [purpleface]

I have already restored a R3 translation on a license card to a R4 messaging. I am not sure why your messaging is stuck ina continous reboot. Did you try removing the license card and see if it still reboots in test mode?

If the Magix system has an Avaya Merlin Messaging voicemail, it requires a PCMCIA card to be inserted into one of the slots on the front of the unit.

The card serves 2 functions:

1) To unlock a specified number of access ports to the VM
2) To provide a way to backup some of the voicemail's settings.

Without this card (or if the card is defective or inserted into the wrong slot), the voicemail will go into a "test" mode.

As of right about now, I am very confused.

Are you working on the VOICE MAIL (Messaging) or the PROCESSOR?

Since you said CKE5, that's a PROCESSOR.

So, I guess now would be a good time for you to tell us exactly what you are trying to do.

merlinman, you had asked what Magix release, I assumed you meant processor because I mentioned the release for the Merlin Messaging above already...this is replacing the Merlin Messaging module R3 with a R4, and if it is possible to do a backup on the R3 to be restored on an R4...

Dex, the port card can be used as a backup card too? How is a backup performed to this card, and how much is "some" of the settings? Sorry for the confusion fellas

The card will save the basic voicemail configurations, but not stored messages.

So if the voicemail's hard drive crashes, saved messages will be lost no matter how many times you may have backed-up to the PCMCIA.

You would need to backup to a PC to save configs, prompts & messages.

Ok I've done the backup via Merlin Messaging Administration 2.0 to a location on a PC. How then is this file used for the restore process? Thanks Dex

I'll have to defer the answer to one of the category leads as they will have had more experience with this than I have.

You CANNOT backup a Merlin Messaging R3 to a PC and then restore that same file to an R4 Messaging. If you ignore the warnings and proceed with the restore - you will mess-up the R4 hard drive totally - requiring you to replace the software on that drive.

What you CAN do - is upgrade the existing R3 to an R4 - then back it up to a PC - and reload the file to a new R4 messaging.

The Messaging port card backs-up minimal information - basically the configuration and maybe the main AA greetings - if they are short.

You are probably better off reprogramming the Messaging from scratch - unless you have a very complex setup and tons of mailboxes. In that case - upgrade the R3 to R4 - do a full back-up to a PC - and restore to a new R4.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

I think the question being asked is how does the backup/restore to the PC work...not so much can I back up to a PC and then convert to a different revision.

Dexman - his Messaging R4 is stuck in an endless reboot - because he damaged system files by "restoring" an R3 messaging backup to an R4 messaging.

I foolishly once did the same thing - and had to replace the R4 hard drive - as a result.

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

Ah!....That would do it. [purpleface]

Thanks guys, I'll revert to reprogramming the entire voicemail system...it shouldn't be too complex of a set up

On this topic, where can you find a Merlin Messaging Hard Drive?

I've got them - except for the R1.1

Tom Daugirdas,
President
STCG, Inc.
stcg.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back